Monday, January 21, 2008

Healthy Portable Foods

My dad was released from the hospital Saturday and is home recovering from surgery. As of today, all of the family and visitors have returned home. I was able to do a little cooking over the weekend to take to my parents house. There are no pictures of anything plated, but I did snap a few pictures just to let you know I made some good food.

Vegetable Soup



This is sort of a brothy Minestrone with potatoes, carrots, green beans, corn, tomatoes, and cannelini beans. I was hoping my dad would eat some broth, but his tastebuds are geared toward oatmeal and ice cream right now. I also made a loaf of whole wheat bread (no pic).


Spaghetti Squash Casserole



I know you can’t see the spaghetti squash, but it’s mixed with tomatoes and Italian seasoning underneath some roasted turnips and steamed green beans. This turned out quite tasty and we all ate lots of it.


Indian Spiced Cabbage



An Ethiopian restaurant is right next to the hospital, and my sister and I had an opportunity to eat dinner there one night. We both especially loved the cabbage dish we ordered. I knew I couldn’t replicate it, knowing nothing about preparing Ethiopian food, but my Indian style cabbage was delicious. We ate lots of this too.

I also made Super Charge Me Cookies, which I have made before and absolutely love.


Chase gave up his usual share of the leftovers so my sister could take them on the plane and share some with my nephews when she gets back home.

It was wonderful to be back in my kitchen making healthful food to share with my family. I’m grateful that my mom and sister share my love of veggies and enjoy eating meatless meals of my vegan creations. I am anxious for my dad to get his appetite back so I can cook for him as well.

Thank you all again for your thoughts and well wishes.

10 comments:

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

so glad yr dad is back home!

Vegan_Noodle said...

So glad to hear your dad is home from the hospital. I'm sure he'll get his appetite back with all those mouth-watering dishes you make! I need a cookie...

Ashasarala said...

I'm so happy to hear that your dad is back home and recovering. It's so wonderful of you to be cooking so much good food for the family. I'm sure once he gets his appetite back he'll be digging right in. :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Diann, you don't know how happy this makes me, to see you still cooking up a delicious storm in your kitchen - everything from the soup to the cookies (aren't those super-charge-me cookies fabulous!??!) looks sensational, and I'm sure your sister will enjoy the leftovers (that was lovely of Chase to share!)

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

That's wonderful about your father! and with all that beautiful, nourishing food around I'm sure he'll get his appetite back in no time. I don't think I've seen a more tempting vegetable soup in a while!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Thank God for your dad's release... I'll continue to send my thoughts and prayers your way that he'll continue with his recovery. Good-looking food, as always :o)

bazu said...

Happy news about your dad's release- I'm sure his appetite will come back sooner rather than later if your cuisine has any say in the matter! {hugs}

Sheree' said...

Glad to see you were able to get some good time in the kitchen. We are continuing to pray for you, your dad, and family. Hugs!

MELI. said...

found u recently, awesome posts. iHeart austin so much. greetings from a veggie sanfransisqette.

Anonymous said...

I like to try the vegetable soup. I like the ingredients in it, especially the corn and carrots