Sunday, February 03, 2008

Sausage Supper/Crazy for Quinoa

My dad is back in the hospital tonight. Yesterday there was a 911 call, an ambulance, and another surgery. Pretty scary, but he’s okay now and should be back at home tomorrow. Chase and I spent Saturday evening with him and he seemed to be in good spirits. My mom and my brother have been with him today, so I stayed home and kept myself busy in the kitchen. Here’s everything I made for Sunday dinner with Chase.

After seeing all the posts raving about Julie’s Sausages, I just had to give them a try. They were so easy to make and turned out great.



I decided to pair them with peppers and onions. Chase put his on a little French bread loaf we found at our Asian market. I checked to be sure it was vegan. The ingredients were wheat flour, yeast, water – perfect.

I had to have a taste of the sausage. It is fantastic! They are seasoned perfectly and the texture is just right. Chase was so happy to have leftovers to take home and put in his spinach wraps for lunches next week.

I also made Lima Bean Green Chili Dip, courtesy of LK Sisters. (I felt compelled to make a dip on Super Bowl Sunday.) I spiced their recipe up just a little with red pepper flakes and garlic, but I usually put those two ingredients in everything. It’s a beautiful green color, a bit spicy, and absolutely delicious. Thanks for the recipe, LK!


I bought these 2 bags of chips for the dip. You all probably eat these all the time, but I never really snack on chips so they seem new to me. Chase liked both of these, and I especially liked the rice chips.


Sweet Potato Salad with broccoli, green beans, carrots, and green onions, and a ranch style dressing. A new way with broccoli, cold and creamy good. Chase went nuts over this. He had been missing an old fashioned, “mayo” type potato salad.




Quinoa dish 1 – Red Rice, Lentil, and Quinoa Pilaf with leeks and carrots. When my dad bought me some black rice awhile back, he also bought me some red rice. This was my first time to make it, and combining it with lentils and quinoa was tasty as well as a nice contrast in textures. Adding in the leeks and carrots made it very pretty too.




So here is our table….




.... and here is Chase’s plate of too much food!




Chase has no desire for sweets lately, so I made a fruit salad for dessert – fresh apples, nectarines, grapes, oranges, and blueberries.



Quinoa dish 2 – Quinoa Granola to top our fruit with. I couldn’t really taste quinoa, but it’s really good granola and if you would like to make it, you know, for extra protein at breakfast, simply mix together 2 cups quinoa, 4 cups rolled oats, ½ cup almonds, and ½ cup pistachios. Then mix together ½ cup maple syrup, ½ cup canola oil, 1 T. cinnamon, 1 T. vanilla, and a pinch of salt. Mix the wet and dry ingredients, spread on a baking sheet, and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, stirring every 7 or 8 minutes. When cool, mix in your add-ins. I added craisins and dried blueberries.



For some reason I’ve been craving dried blueberries. So they are also in Quinoa dish 3 – Quinoa Breakfast Bars. These are made with quinoa flakes and turned out really nice.




I have the “big game” on, but I’m not really watching it. I am slowly but surely making my way around to all your blogs, and I apologize for falling behind on comments. Hopefully this week will be back to normal so I can catch up.

24 comments:

Vegan_Noodle said...

So sorry to hear that your dad went back to the hospital. Hope he makes it home again soon and recovers fully.

All those quinoa dishes look awesome. It's such a versatile little grain! And your Sunday dinner looks amazing... I'm especially craving that sweet potato salad.

Candi said...

Hi Diann!

Sorry to hear about your dad! I'm glad he is due back home tomorrow. He must have enjoyed all the company!

Your Sunday dinner looks so good. Thanks for the link to Julie's sausages. I like the pepper and onion combo!

Sweet potato salad! I'd love some of that right now!!

I'm mostly staring at the fruit salad you made! It's so colorful and I'd love a bowl of that right now! Too bad we're out of fresh fruit. :(

I enjoyed your other posts too and am fascinated by that seared cauliflower steak! Mmm! I will definitely try that!

You asked about the raw recipe book I liked and it's Ani's Raw Kitchen. There's a picture and link on my blog and you can peek inside in on Amazon. It's fun and gives some good ideas! I collect vegan cookbooks and love adding new ones in!

Best wishes to your dad for a quick recovery! If he eats this food you're making, he's sure to be feeling great soon!

Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

that sweet potato/broccoli salad sounds sooooo appealing. and i don't even like anything remotely ranch style, but you know i share your immense love of broccoli. oooh yeah!

and thanks for reminding me that i need more quinoa in my life. ;)

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your dad - that's rough.

Your dinner looks excellent. :-)

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

sorry to hear about yr dad. sending more good vibes.

everything looks great. i especially am lovin' that fruit salad. i've been on a fruit kick lately.

MeloMeals said...

I'm sorry about your dad... he's sure had a rough go of it lately.. I'm glad that he's coming home soon again.

Your food looks amazing as usual! I am very intrigued by the quinoa flakes and the quinoa granola.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your dad , i wish he get well soon!

that food looks deliciosa!!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Thank God your dad is ok!

The "sausage" and pepper sandwich looks so good. Mmmm I want one.
And I made two dips for Sunday as well :o). Yay for dips!

julie hasson said...

So sorry about your dad. I hope he gets better soon.

All of your food looks so good! That salad and the quinoa bars and the sausages...Yum!!!

erica said...

Hi Diann,
I'm going to be in Austin at the end of April for a wedding. I was wondering if you could recommend any good vegan places? You can email me gawkyca@yahoo.com.

Thanks!!!
Erica

Monika K said...

You must be the 15th blogger I've seen singing the praises of Julie's sausages - that's it! I must make them! I think I'll make the Quinoa breakfast bars with craisins, since I'm out of dried blueberries. Dinner at Diann's, as usual, looks like one heck of an experience.

Happy Monday to you!

bazu said...

Oh my god- I would give anything for a fresh fruit salad now. Frozen fruit is just not the same thing. Ah well, I guess I'll go munch on another apple while drooling over your produce!

Anonymous said...

Awesome Post! Love your photo’s too!

Ashasarala said...

I'm sorry you guys had another scare and your dad had to go back to the hospital. But I'm really glad things are going okay now and he's in high spirits. It's very good to hear.

That dip looks and sounds incredible. I just recently cut waaaay down on chips, but rice chips don't count, do they? haha I would love some with that dip right about now.

I never thought of using quinoa in granola bars or in cereal. I always thought of it as being simmered and eaten in a salad. Yes, sometimes these posts help me think outside the box!

Anonymous said...

I hope your Dad is feeling better. I've been checking out your blog for some time and think your food and photos are great! I'm going to be in Austin in a couple of weeks and I've been searching some of the vegan restaurant scene on-line. There are lots of great options, but I"m wondering what you would suggest for a special vegan dinner if you could choose one place to go (vegan restaurant or just vegan friendly). I'd love to hear your opinion!! Thanks, Jill (Edmonton, Alberta--where it is currently very cold--what a stereotype)

aTxVegn said...

Thanks for your comments, all!

Erica, I'll send you an email soon.

Jill, thanks for your kind comments. You sure will be traveling a long way to get here! Austin has tons of great restaurants, and almost any that are not chains will prepare a vegan meal if you call ahead. Mother's Cafe is all veg with vegan options and is lovely inside. The food is not fancy, but always delicious. It's been here over 30 years, which says a lot. It's centrally located at 43rd and Duval. Enjoy your time in Austin!

- Diann

Ruby Red said...

Thank goodness your dad's okay! Hospital scares are no fun.

I need to try quinoa flakes! They look great in the breakfast bars, but I've also been hearing they make a pretty decent hot breakfast cereal.

Nectarines! Ooh! You really have me wanting your fruit salad now.

Ruby Red said...

Oh! And definitely try oatmeal pudding. I'm serious.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Still praying for your father - I'm hoping that everything greatly improves quickly!!

oh my goodness gracious, Diann - how do you find the time to create all these delicacies?!?!?! you're such an inspiration for cooking and baking!! the quinoa granola and breakfast bars are definitely my favorites; but everything looks stellar!!

urban vegan said...

Sorry to hear about your dad but glad he's on the mend...

And yowsa--look at all that tasty chow.I am crazy for quinoa, too--and i am all out. You are one of the most prolific cooks I know.

joanna said...

do you have a recipe for the sweet potato salad or did you just mix all the ingredients you mentioned? It sounds great and I think I already have everything I need in the house!

And those quinoa ideas look great, maybe I'll finally use mine for something! I never thought to put it in my granola, thanks for the idea!

I'm sorry about your Dad, but glad that he's better now...

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

I'm glad your dad is okay, and that spirits are up. your food would brighten any room! Seriously, it's always so colourful and varied and nom-looking, kinda wish I could grab a spoonful through the computer screen! that sandwich also looks like sloppy bliss. :o

and aren't those rice chips amazing? first time I tried them I couldn't believe how rice could have such a distinctive yummy texture!

aTxVegn said...

Hi, Joanna. Yes, for the potato salad I cooked the potatoes and steamed the beans and broccoli, then mixed it all together with the dressing. It's good cold and warm!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I hope your dad is better soon!
I love the look of your sausages, they have been served in a way to torture me as I sit here!
I love the idea of a vegetable style potato salad as well, yum!