Friday, March 21, 2008

Yummy Tofu and a Piquillo Pie

I finally made a Sunday dinner, but ended up packing it up for Chase to take home since he wasn’t able to come eat with me. But he has reported back to me that everything was awesome.

Two recipes are from Vcon. First, Apricot Barbecue Baked Tofu. I made the Apricot Barbecue Sauce and as advised, used it as a delicious and perfectly sticky covering for the tofu. Please make this sauce and put it on anything you want to bake or grill. I would imagine those of you who enjoyed Susan V’s Ribz would love them with this sauce too. My apricots for the sauce weren’t fresh. They were actually pineapple flavored and came out of a can. No matter. Look at the sticky goodness.





I didn't eat the tofu, but I had many tester tastes of the sauce - maximum yum!


Next I made the tofu-less quiche from Vcon. Instead of using asparagus though, I used onions for the filling and added a layer of sliced roasted piquillo peppers. (Piquillos are mild, delicious red peppers.) I seasoned the filling with cilantro and cumin and used the Wholly Wholesome pie crust Dreena recommends. I would have made my own crust, but store bought comes in its own to-go container! I also added a little nooch to the breadcrumb topping. Here’s the whole Piquillo Pie ready to bake.


Here’s a slice.

The filling is absolutely delicious and I’m thrilled to now have a soyfree option for quiche. I do recommend letting it set up in the fridge before cutting and serving. It’s great cold too.

I wanted to do something in recognition of St. Patrick’s Day. Irish food usually includes potatoes and potatoes are not in my current detox plan. So I made a deconstructed Colcannon of sorts. I made parsley’d sweet potatoes.



And I couldn’t decide between kale or cabbage, so I made both, with leeks and onions. These I ate and enjoyed very much.


I didn’t bake anything for dessert because I still have a freezer full of brownies, bars, and half a cake. But I did find these pretty candies for Chase’s Easter treat. No word yet on how they taste.



Thank you all for your words of comfort regarding the passing of my dad. We miss him so much.

I hope you all have a very Happy Easter!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm sugar coated chickpeas!! Intriguing. =)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Oh my goodness-- are those REALLY chickpeas?!

I just made a quiche too... but yours looks much better than mine! I'm having quiche envy!

MeloMeals said...

Your meal looks lovely.. I am very drawn to your sweet potatoes..

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

your piquillo pie looks so creative and good! and you'll have to let us know how those chickpeas taste. they definitely look easter-y!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Happy Easter :)

Anonymous said...

your piquillo pie looks wonderful! and i'd never seen sugar coated chickpeas! wow!

Jackie said...

A happy Easter to you.

Wow sugar coated chick peas. Never thought of having them that way.

Have gone off tofu lately which is good as I can't find it in the shops here at the moment. Your recipe looks great though so might try it that way when we finally do get stocks.

bazu said...

A happy, and colorful, Easter indeed!

laura k said...

Those candies look so intriguing. As always, your food looks so colorful and full of flavor!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Dinner looks wonderful!! I made that quiche recently as well and really enjoyed it.
And wow, you must report back about those chickpeas! i simply can't imagine what they taste like...
Hope you and Chase are having a happy easter sunday :-)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Your comment on my blog, about asking Henry if he took the camera cord, made me laugh. But Molly is the mischievous one! When we first adopted Henry, suddenly all our trash cans were being overturned. Of course we figured it was Henry… until we caught naughty little Molly in action!

Monika K said...

Happy Easter (and belated St. Patty's Day)! Those chickpeas sound mighty interesting...

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

sugar coated chickpeas?? I'll have to look for those in my store!

Ruby Red said...

Sticky goodness, indeed! The apricot tofu is a sight to behold.

Sweet potatoes are a million times better than potatoes, in my book. Mmm.

I thought I had seen it all when Vegan Noodle posted about chocolate lentils, but sugar coated chickpeas?! Hehe.

I am really sorry to hear about your dad. I hope you and your family are recovering. You all are in my prayers.

Devin Andrew Collins said...

Nice to see a vegan in the Lone Star State! It must feel great to be able to say that you don't eat or wear your hometown team's mascot. =^)

Sheree' said...

Hi sweetie, I hope you and Chase are able to get back to a somewhat normal life after the sad journey with your dad. My heart goes out to you. Hugs!!

I love the look of your Apricot Barbecue Baked Tofu. So gooey and delicious looking. Of course everything looks wonderful and what better way to heal then in the kitchen cooking.

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

sugar coated chickpeas sound so good!

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Wow. I am also intrigued by the candy-coated chick-peas! I feel my Mediterranean market lacks something now... Maybe I'll ask them about such a thing!