Sunday, March 08, 2009

Sunday Dinner for Me!

Are you as happy as I am to be on Daylight Saving Time again? Today was warm and sunny until almost 8 o’clock! I just hope our cold weather is over.

Chase’s band has a show tonight so I got to make whatever I wanted for dinner just for me. There is one food I love and Chase hates so that’s what was for dinner – mushrooms!

I made myself a super delicious dinner of Baked Mushroom Mounds, served atop Mashed Cauliflower, with a side of Romanesco Broccoli. I was very very happy!



It was completely delicious and so filling. I got the broccoli from the farmers market yesterday. (Romanesco has a very short growing season, so if you see some you better grab it while you can.) The Mashed Cauliflower recipe is from Chocolate Covered Katie and it is so awesome with Dijon mustard (and the fresh dill I added). The mushroom idea came from this ancient cookbook I rediscovered this week.

Oh, boy, this is a 1986 book that has been a real hoot to read. The only chapter I haven’t read yet is Bread, and it may have some possibilities. I did actually bookmark some recipes to try, especially ones that have beer as an ingredient. Cooking with beer seems to be trendy nowadays.

I have never claimed to take good food pics; I’m just too impatient (and hungry?). But I don’t think I’m quite as inept or cheesy as a few of these that caught my eye. We should all be thankful for digital photography!

Here’s a Ricotta Pie.


Here’s some cookies. At least I know better than to put brown cookies in a ugly brown floating container. And yes, it is actually a blurry picture in the book.


Now let’s play a game with this picture. It took me awhile to figure out what this is. Actually, I had to look at the recipe and then go, Ohhhhhh, okay, I see it now.



What do you think it is? I blurred out all the words so you wouldn’t have any clues. I’ll give you the correct answer in my next post. I really really dislike that serving tray.

Anyway…. the Mushroom Mounds were quite good. They were easy to make with just a few ingredients, and baked for 25 minutes in muffin tins. If you want my veganized recipe, let me know and I’ll put it in my next post as well. Chase should be over for dinner Tuesday or Wednesday so I’ll have another dinner post (with dessert!) soon.

Yay for leftovers!


Tomorrow is my workout with my trainer and he's been brutal lately - I love him! Even though it will hurt to lift my arms to the keyboard, I'll catch up with you all tomorrow evening.

32 comments:

Andrea said...

Yes for the mushroom recipe! I changed my mind about 5 times about what was in the mystery photo (some items not printable) but now I think they are stuffed rutabagas. :D

Sheree' said...

Looks like baked yams to me, but wow, what an ugly pictures. Oh yes please post the mushroom recipe! I am glad that you got to make a dinner of everything you love!!!

Alicia said...

I think those look like baked sweet potatoes with big slabs of butter. I'm excited about Daylight Savings time too! I like it being light later.

Jes said...

The mushroom mounds look great! You should post the recipe. :) I have no idea whatsoever what's in that serving tray, but I bet it's fascinating!

Kelly said...

Old cookbooks are hilarious! It took a second, but my first guess was baked sweet potatoes that appear to be vomiting chunks of butter.

Chris said...

Are they sweet potatoes?? If so, the dish and the lighting (!!) makes them look pretty freaking ugly. In contrast, that broccoli is so bright - perfect for today's weather up here in the Northeast!

Anonymous said...

article in this blog very grade and benefit for me, am will be to visit again to here

Lisa said...

I've never heard of Romanesco broccoli! And you have me stumped with the other photo.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Love the mushroom mounds, especially!! I always loooove your Sunday dinners :-D

Virginia said...

the mystery pic looks like sweet potatoes with butter and....lettuce? those pictures are hilarious...gotta love the 80's!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Aww yay! I'm so glad the cauliflower "recipe" (haha) worked for you. And you reminded me that I have't made it in ages and ages.

I'd definitely like to know the mushroom recipe.

And hmmm, I'm guessing: sweet potatoes?

Four entries for you, Diann :o)

Anonymous said...

I'm cracking up over the cookbook photos! Too cheesy for words!!

I love making mashed cauliflower! I've not tried Katie's recipe. I sometimes make it with millet & cauliflower and it's yum!

Anonymous said...

Haha, I love paging through old cookbooks and seeing how things have changed over the years in regard to "styling" food. What fun!

MeloMeals said...

I'm thinking it's some sort of potato thing? iiikkk... I love your food photos.. you always capture the deliciousness..

Unknown said...

looks like baked yams to me, too.

Susan G said...

I thought yams with butter, too, on shredded lettuce? (Odd combo!)

Anonymous said...

In your "spare time" ( ho, ho, ho, ) pleae consider preparing a book with recipes and experiments

Anonymous said...

Love those photos! What a laugh ;)

Anonymous said...

I would love the mushroom mound recipe--I love mushrooms, and they look fantastic!

Courtney

Bianca said...

Haha! I love vintage cookbooks! Food photography has come a very long way since then. But there's something about that 70s and 80s style that's really appealing to me. Maybe it reminds me of childhood or something!

I wish I could get my hands on some romanesco!

Usha said...

I have no clue what is in that picture, look forward to seeing the answer in your next post :-)

Not Another Omnivore said...

I love the old pictures!

NAOmni

Amy said...

Haha those photos remind me of 2 womens weekly cookbooks I owned way back when I first got married. One of them was one that my Mum had owned when I was small and the photos were the same. Some quite hilarious!

Your mushroom mounds sound awesome! I would love a recipe!

jessy said...

hooray for mushroom yumminess! i love the romanesco broccoli, too - it's so pretty!

thanks for sharing some photos from the old cookbook! ahahahahaa! they're cracking me up! :)

mashed cauliflower sounds so good! i'm going to have to try that out, fo 'sho!

hope you had a great workout! w00t!

Anonymous said...

Chase might come around. I use to hate mushrooms but now I love them (most of the time).

Your plated dinner looks beautiful. What a lovely way to end the weekend.

Anonymous said...

Yes please for the recipe!! They look wonderful and a nice change from my usual.

Thanks!

Katy said...

Pete doesn't like mushrooms either. I just don't understand! I love them!

My guess is baked sweet potatoes with LOTS of butter on top. And it looks like there's a cabbage or lettuce garnish of some sort.

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Is that a photo of yams?? I love old cookbooks - the photos are a hoot. Nothing at all like your pretty presentation - I'd love to try mashed cauliflower!!

jb said...

The mushroom mounds look great, and that romanseco looks so vibrant and tasty!

miss v said...

my guess is yams. although for a second i thought those butter mounds were bananas... it grossed me out.
weird pics, for sure.

mashed cauliflower - yum! great idea with the dijon!

Vegan_Noodle said...

I love looking through old cookbooks... those photos are so bad!!

Gotta love those Sunday dinner when you get exactly what you want (though I'm sure you prefer Chase to be there :-)

A.M. said...

Haha, those pictures are too funny!