Monday, December 14, 2009

Daring Cooks Challenge – Vegetable En Croute

The 2009 Daring Cooks challenge was hosted by Simone of Junglefrog Cooking. Simone chose Salmon en Croute (or alternative recipes for Beef Wellington or Vegetable en Croute) from Good Food Online.

This month’s challenge was super easy – bake something in puff pastry. My en croute was filled with a seared Portobello mushroom, pureed white beans seasoned with garlic and balsamic vinegar, and sundried tomatoes.



I wrapped it up…


… and baked it at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. It puffed up beautifully.


Here’s the inside shot. You’ll notice my upside down wrapping. The beans and tomatoes were on the bottom instead of the top!



It was a nice combination of flavors and a delicious dinner. My favorite en croute preparation is whole cauliflower, which I made for Thanksgiving dinner last year.



Puff pastry wrapped things are so festive and would be beautiful on any holiday table. It looks so fancy but couldn’t be easier. Roll out some dough and wrap something up!

14 comments:

Julie Lynn said...

Yum! That looks so good.

Andrea said...

You didn't say how it tasted. Delicious, I bet.

Jes said...

The mushroom is such a great idea! I might have to try that when I'm visiting my folks.

jessy said...

your veggie en croute looks great, Diann! the combination of white beans, sun-dried tomatoes, and portobellos sounds heavenly! mmmmmmmm! i'm gonna have to make myself a gluten-free pastry sometime - yours look too good not to try something like it. yum!

River - The Crafty Kook said...

It's gorgeous! I remember your cauliflower from last year! How could anyone forget? It was awesome! :-)

Michal said...

Beautiful!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That looks so freaking good!

Oraphan said...

Oh! That looks really good! I'm a big fan of portobello mushroom, Yum! I'm so impressed how pretty you made and you said it's easy!

Amey said...

oh my gosh, I have never forgotten that amazing whole cauliflower creation. Whoa.

send me your mailing address again, so I can send you one of my cookbooks for this year!! ameyfm at yahoo dot com

hope you are doing well!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oh my YUM! That looks awesome.

Lovlie said...

I like the filling. Beans and sundried tomatoes sounds really delicious! I will make some en croute with puff pastry next time. That's a recipe I'm surely gonna make over the holidays again!

Erika said...

I can't wait to try this out!
Looks really really delicious.

fisher price dvd said...

Beans and sun-dried tomatoes are just excellent for this.

mass loaded vinyl said...

Is that mushroom?