Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Fresh Fall Food

As I mentioned earlier, I’ve been eating rather simply lately, just enjoying the plain fresh taste of the season’s harvest. My past 2 farm boxes were most excellent.



Two things I adore this time of year are all the greens, and romano beans. If you’re not familiar with romanos, they are giant, flat green beans. In my last CSA box I got a 2 pound bag! I simply steam the beans about 5 minutes, then eat them like french fries. Sometimes just with sea salt.


Sometimes with nooch.

And sometimes I dip them in marinara sauce.



With all the peppers and onions I’ve gotten, they make a tasty addition to whatever greens I cook. Plus they really add nice color.



My favorite way to eat greens is with onions and mushrooms. I’ve just been crazy for mushrooms lately!


I splurged on a spaghetti squash and must say it turned out to be a fantastic purchase. I don’t know if my oven karma was just right or if I’ve finally learned to pick out good winter squashes, but this was hands down the sweetest, best spaghetti squash ever. I could have eaten it straight out of the shell. But I made it into a meal topped with spaghetti sauce and sides of greens and broccoli. Heavenly!



I want to compliment all of you who prepared Thanksgiving dinners. No matter how elaborate or cozy, you all made some amazing meals - bravo!

PS – Try some romano beans!

19 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Simply satisfying and colorful eats! Love 'em all.

Judy's Nutrition said...

I don't think I have ever tried Romano beans, at least not in the shell like that. I will look for some and try them steamed as you suggest.

It's funny, but even as a nutritionist, I am not crazy about greens. I wish I was because they are so super healthy, whether raw or cooked, but I dunno...they're just so plain and, well, green tasting! I am trying to learn to love them, though if I can just learn to tolerate kale I will be a happy lady!

VEGAN TICKLES said...

Your CSA bounty looks amazing. Some times the best meals are the simplest ones!

Oraphan said...

Your veggies from CSA box look so wonderful. You've just inspired me to eat more veggies, YUM! I've never tried romano beans before, they certainly look and sound delicious. I will look for some at my local farmer market next week. Oh, that mushroom dish is calling my name, I love it:)

Jes said...

Oooh, Romano beans are awesome! What a great CSA haul. Beautiful eats and congrats on the spaghetti squash working out so well!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

What gorgeous colours in that first photos. Just lovely! I have never seen purple peppers like that before, they would add a nice bit of colour to a dish too.

Ricki said...

Those beans do look fantastic! Must try them!

Thanks for the comment on the matcha truffles--did you realize there's also a giveaway of a matcha tea kit and tea? Last day to enter is tomorrow! On this post. Hope you enter! :)

Toni @ Imperfect Pregnancy said...

Those beans look wonderful! Num num beans...

Catherine Weber said...

I LOVE adding mushrooms and a splash of balsamic vinegar to greens! Yum yum yum!

VeganView said...

Gosh all those veggies look soooo amazing! I like the dipping methods! Everything is so fresh looking, I love it!

jessy said...

i’m with ya on loving those greens. i always miss them during the super warm summer months. i’m glad they’re back! can’t say i’ve ever had romano beans before, Diann – i’m gonna have to keep on eye out for ‘em, fo ‘sho! mushrooms are so awesome, and so is that spaghetti squash. mmmmmmmm!

miss v said...

yum - those romanos remind me of edamame - but you can eat the shell! thanks for the info - i had never heard of them before.

Ricki said...

Those beans do look very tempting! Never tried them fresh, so this is something new to try. :)

Andrea said...

Wonderful-looking veggies and preparation. I agree with you that good veggies cooked simply, taste great. I really like the analogy of beans to french fries. I'll look for them. (beans, not french fries.:)

Anonymous said...

Hey are you a professional journalist? This article is very well written, as compared to most other blogs i saw today….
anyhow thanks for the good read!

River - The Crafty Kook said...

What a beautiful and colorful CSA spread! I was not acquainted with Mr. Romano Bean, thank you for introducing us! :-)

There must be something in there air because I have been crazy for mushrooms lately too!

YAY for a squash success! It looks delicious!

www.becoming-whole.com said...

Your farm box looks great. I'm starting to get mine next Wed. Maine organic winter veggies! The Romano beans must taste great.

Usha said...

All those veggies look amazing....

Erin said...

The romano beans sound really good! I'd probably douse them with nutritional yeast too.