Sunday, June 10, 2007

Nada Moo – When Having a Cow is Out of the Question!

Don’t you love it! Nada Moo is an Austin based vegan ice cream maker on it’s way to going national, mostly via Whole Foods. More on it in a minute, but first can I just reiterate how cool my city is? After a horrible start to the weekend – Chase’s car getting hit, his third time to be a victim of hit and run (I know, totally uncool), and my car having a dead battery – I had the best time on Saturday.

While my dad fixed my car, my mom and I headed out for a trip to the Farmers Market and Whole Foods. The Farmers Market was celebrating its 10th birthday. I learned earlier in the week that it’s ranked in the top ten in the country! The founder and director moved here from Hollywood where she used to hang out with star kids and babysit Charlie Sheen. She also had an organic produce company and sold her goods to top chefs including Wolfgang Puck and Roy Yamaguchi. Last year the market grossed $2 million, and it’s only open on Saturdays! On this Saturday, local chefs set up and served samples from their restaurants. The Lake Austin Spa chef was serving an awesome Tomato Peach Gazpacho, but sadly he wasn’t handing out his recipe. I picked out just a few things, a giant zucchini, blueberries, a beautiful sunny delight squash, and carrots with extra long tops for Smokey.





Next stop Whole Foods. They were having a peach festival and there were samples all over the place. One thing I wanted to get was vegan ice cream cones, which I found. I also got the perfect take-to-class bar for Chase and this awesome peach sauce.



The peach sauce is local and fabulous, but for $5.69 a bottle, I’m sure a homemade version would be just as good. The ingredients are simply peaches, sugar, and almond extract. The peach sauce was served with Nada Moo vanilla.

Nada Moo ice cream is so incredibly good. Why? The base is coconut milk. They have a website, but they were passing out these cards so I shot pics of it to show you their information.












I hope you don’t have to wait too long to try it because you are truly missing out on some seriously good eats!


Later in the day I took to Chase to shop at the Asian market. I picked up this huge bunch of asparagus. The beans shown with it are from the farmers market. They are my favorite green bean – scarlet runner beans. I don’t see them here very often so I was thrilled to find them.





Later we stopped at Bombay Express and I got this grilled veggie sandwich.




You can’t really tell, but it’s got three pieces of bread, which to me makes it a bread sandwich. One half had onions and peppers and the other half had potatoes. The green sauce must have been jalapeno because it seemed really hot, even for me! I took off one piece of bread and added a Southwest burger, then I had a great sandwich.

I’m looking forward to finally having a grilled dinner tonight. I hope you all have a fantastic Sunday!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, NadaMoo sounds delicious. I just bought an ice cream maker so I'm going to be experimenting like crazy in the upcoming weeks.

I'm so sorry to hear about all of you and Chase's unfortunate events but I'm glad you were able to make lemonade out of them lemons.

I'm off to make your 3 bean salad now for lunch. Yuuuuummmmm!

Mary Worrell said...

Oh man...I was just raving to a friend who sampled the Coconut Heaven Cupcakes (from vWAV) that I made yesterday. I love them because soy milk is replaced with coconut milk....so I can only imagine how delicious Nada Moo is!

Douglas said...

wow!!!! I have to see if we have this ice cream here in Canada! I am trying to get some of the soy out of my diet and this would be a great substitute!

I always love your pics and I really want to see all the tattoos you speak of....

Let me know when you can make it up to Toronto :)

KleoPatra said...

Wow, all the stuff that's been goin' on with you... sometimes it seems like nothing goes right! How fab your dad can fix yer car...

Here's hoping that the Farmer's Market goodness and joy (great stuff!!) it brought to you, and the celebration of its 10th anniversary (with many more years to come!) are telling of better times ahead for you and your family.

btw, hit & run = sucky. Glad your son is all right!!

Nada Moo looks great! i gotta check that out!!

Anonymous said...

i think that whole foods has a 365 brand of vegan ice cream, too.

Anonymous said...

coconut milk. yum!!!! i love coconut with all my hearth so i bet that ice cream will be delicioso!!!

Kati said...

Nada Moo sounds awesome - and it has such a cute name. I love that they use agave nectar as a sweetener. I only hope it comes my way soon!

Sorry to hear about your car troubles, but I'm glad it didn't ruin your weekend. That Farmer's Market sounds incredible.

Christina said...

NadaMoo is mostly coconut milk, amasake, agave nectar and tofu, so it does contain some soy.

My favorite flavor used to be the Ga Do Chocolate flavor all by itself, but I think currently I'm leaning more toward the Vanilla Aahhh with lemon juice squeezed over the top (it you let it sit for a few minutes before eating it, it freezes solid like a glaze).

Amy Ramm, the founder of the company, is amazing. She was one of my first teachers, and she has extremely high standards; she used to personally make her own chocolate chips for the La Da Mint Chip (chocolate chip), because she couldn't find vegan chocolate chips that met her standards by being vegan, sugar free and delicious.

Incidentally, have you tried Chomp! cookies? They're also locally made, and the people who make them now run the Living Arts Bakery at the Sunset Valley Farmer's Market. They're available by mail order and in stores in the southwest and rockies, I think, for non-Austinites.

aTxVegn said...

Hi, Christine. I had the vanilla flavor at Whole Foods and it was really really good. I have tried Chomp! cookies and I get something from Living Arts Bakery almost every time I go to the farmers market. My son likes their tofu dogs with sauerkraut.

Anonymous said...

nada moo has GOT to be the coolest brand name I've ever heard of.

Judy said...

That ice cream sounds fantastic, and what a cute name! I love farmer's markets too, really I love anywhere that has fresh produce. And what a great looking sandwich, but I agree that 3 pieces of bread is a bit much.

laura k said...

Nada Moo - and your farmers market - and Austin in general - all sound fabulous. In a town where I don't even have a farmers market within an hour, I can say that I would love to come and visit your city! That sandwich is intense - 3 pieces of bread, AND potatoes? I like the way you fixed it up, though. I'm glad that you had such a great day, and I hope the car troubles get worked out swiftly.

Crystal said...

Nada Moo...what a cool name for their product. I really like it.

I see you picked up a Bumble Bar. Ryan and I bought about 20 of these at the Living Green Expo to keep in our desks. They have a lot of calories, so it's perfect to have half for breakfast.

-Crystal

Sheree' said...

How cool. Vegan ice cream cones and ice cream made out of coconut milk. I want to get an ice cream maker and try my hand at dairy free ice cream.

That sandwich looks fabulous!

Bummer about all the car trouble that you and poor Chase have been going through. I wish you a much better week!

Jackie said...

Sorry to hear about the accident.

Wish we had NadaMoo here...what a great name :)

Amy said...

Hi -

This is Amy, I make NadaMoo!. What a nice post! Thank you for telling people how much you enjoyed discovering NadaMoo! & helping me share my love of delicious, healthy, alternative foods with others. We have new flavors and new packaging now & our distribution is spreading out - we're all the way up to Northern California these days. If you email me your mailing address, I will send you some vouchers so you can try the new flavors. My email is amy@nadamoo.com.

Thanks again!

Amy

Amy said...

Hi -

This is Amy, I make NadaMoo!. What a nice post! Thank you for telling people how much you enjoyed discovering NadaMoo! & helping me share my love of delicious, healthy, alternative foods with others. We have new flavors and new packaging now & our distribution is spreading out - we're all the way up to Northern California these days. If you email me your mailing address, I will send you some vouchers so you can try the new flavors. My email is amy@nadamoo.com.

Thanks again!

Amy