Monday, June 01, 2009

Burgers and Ice Cream

I have a huge backlog of food pics, but I think tonight I’ll take the easy route and give you my favorite bean burgers and ice cream recipes from last night’s dinner.

But let me start with my side dish. I made the Creamy Avocado Potato Salad from Vegan Brunch.



I am still undecided about whether I like this recipe. I think it’s because I had in my mind that I was adding potatoes to guacamole, and that thought just didn’t appeal to me. I added in lots of fresh dill (even though my hand kept reaching for cilantro). The potato salad tastes good and it’s really creamy and I love that it doesn’t have vegannaise or tofu in it. I’m reminded of a time, a long time ago, my dad shaped hamburger meat into weiner shapes and served them on hotdog buns – he liked to play with food too. My tastebuds were confused by my eyes and it was hard to eat. I’m sure this is just a weird quirk of mine and the rest of the vegan world will love this potato salad.


Now for the burgers! I made black bean burgers following my all time favorite recipe from tahinitoo. Your burgers will always turn out using this recipe. (The Blackeyed Pea Soul Burgers on her original post are amazing!) You can use any beans, any veggies, any flour, and any spices, and I promise you will always get a burger that holds together and isn’t mushy. I like to bake my patties ahead of time, then throw them on the grill to heat them and add yummy barbecue flavor. Here’s my fantastic burger.

I’m not going to boohoo, but I set this table…


… and nobody came to eat with me.

Not only did my invitees miss out on a great burger plate like mine…


… but they also missed the best ice cream ever! The best ice cream ever is the one Amey posted last year. I’m sure you could use any fresh fruit you have on hand, but I followed this simple recipe exactly.
Peach-Strawberry Cashew Ice Cream
Ingredients:
1 cup raw cashews
2 cups diced fresh peaches
1 cup chopped strawberries
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
Place cashews in blender and grind to powder. Add remaining ingredients and blend well, at least one minute. Chill in refrigerator at least 2 hours or overnight. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.

Like Amey said, SO freaking good!

18 comments:

Andrea said...

If I ever get invited to one of your dinners, you can be sure I'd come! We have a favorite black bean burger but I'm always up for a new version so thanks for the recipe. And the ice cream is just like I like it. Except that it's too early for good peaches here. I wonder if frozen would be as good.

Amey said...

yay!
Those burgers look really great... I'll definitely give them a try. It seems like it would be cool to make a whole bunch of those and keep them in the freezer for speedy meals.

I'm so sorry no one was there to eat with you! What a drag. I would have come if you invited me!!!

And hoorah for that ice cream... it really is AMAZING, isn't it?! I"m glad you reminded me of this stuff - I'll make it again soon!

xo

Jes said...

I'm just trying to figure out why anyone would pass up one of those delicious burgers! Yours look soooo good! And that ice cream? My gosh, what a summery meal!

Kristin said...

That sucks that no one showed up. Too bad I don't live near you. I'd be sure to show up if you were going to cook like that!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

I wish I could come to one of your dinners! Chase is so lucky to have you for his mom. :)

That ice cream sounds fabulous. Amey rocks!

Anonymous said...

I feel like I'm left out of a club or something without a copy of Vegan Brunch! I need my copy!!!
I loved that little story about your father, you do take after him I think.
Tahinitoo's burger formula is indeed the very best! I'm so sorry you had to eat alone, we would have loved to join you!
Oh - we started a Sweet Freedom flickr group if you want to add any of your SF pictures - it's http://www.flickr.com/groups/1129950@N21/

Amy said...

Awww eating alone is okay! I eat alone sometimes when the husband is away and the kids have eaten something because I know they're not going to like my dinner.

Mmmm I've been eyeing off that potato salad recipe! It's just too cold here for salads right now, it looks wonderful though!

And mmmm I'm coming to your house for burgers one day!

Unknown said...

I am absolutely going to try those burgers! I don't eat anywhere near enough bep's.

kmouse said...

Can I boohoo for you? Sorry your guests couldn't make it. Wish I lived close by! Would love to come by for a lovely dinner like that!

Anonymous said...

Wow, everything looks fabulous! I can't wait to try that potato salad from Vegan Brunch, especially since I hate mayo-based potato salads.

Bianca said...

Man, I woulda come to that table! Looks so delicious and summer-y! I think I'd like the potato salad, and I know I'd love that cashew cream.

Carrie said...

That looks like such a great meal!!

Lisa said...

all of your food looks SO good! I'm going to check out that burger recipe after your rave review.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, i get what you mean when you said that you are conflicted about the avocado-potato combination, I really want to taste that recipe now!

I'm going over to check out that burger recipe now too!

Oraphan said...

That looks like such a really nice dinner! I would have liked to been there to eat with you. =D

jessy said...

hooray for more potato salad – and one with avocado has gotta be awesome! i need to get a copy of vegan brunch! i think it sounds like it would be rock’n with cilantro, too. we love, love, loved amy’s burgers – soul burgerz = the best! yours look especially tasty, Diann! sorry you ate alone, but more for you, fo ‘sho! peach-strawberry cashew ice cream sounds like just about the best flavor EVER! mmmmmmmmmm, mmmmmmmmm!

VEGAN TICKLES said...

Funny you mentioned your dads idea about shaping the burgers patties into hot dog shapes. My husband was just asking me to do that this weekend and I thought her was crazy. I guess he wasn't after all.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words! I am so happy that you enjoy the burger recipe. Your version looks perfectly BBQ'd! If I lived in Texas, I would have joined you in a snap. Your food always impresses me! The ice cream is now on my list of "must makes"!!!!