Friday, November 03, 2006

Baked Rice Rolls & Persimmon Dipping Sauce

Did you know you can bake your spring rolls made with rice paper? The rice paper bakes up super light and crispy.

I made a filling of my beloved broccoli slaw, cilantro, hemp seeds, a tablespoon of Bragg's, and a dash of sesame oil. Of course any filling of your choosing would work.

Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil. Put a tablespoon of canola oil in a small dish and have a brush ready to brush the rice paper. Since the wrappers have to be moistened before rolling, you must brush them with oil or they will turn out gummy instead of crispy. (I made 4 rolls and used less than half of the tablespoon I poured out.)

Have a dish towel ready to roll the wrappers on.

Prepare the rolls: Put warm water into a pie pan (or any pan large enough for the wrappers) and dip a wrapper into the water for about 20 seconds or until softened. Put the wrapper on the dish towel and brush the surface with some oil. Spoon a good scoop of filling onto the bottom of the wrapper. Fold the bottom of the wrapper over the filling and brush with oil. Fold in the sides, then continue rolling up, brushing with oil as you go.

Place the roll seam side down on the baking sheet and bake 15 to 20 minutes, turning once, until browned and crisp. Repeat until all filling is used.

I had an overripe persimmon I used for a dipping sauce. I pureed the pulp and added a teaspoon of Bragg's and a teaspoon of rice wine vinegar.

Give it a try! It's a nice change of pace from spring roll wrappers and they're gluten free.

3 comments:

Emmy said...

I love spring rolls and yours look great. I've never had persimmon dipping sauce but now I'm intrigued. It sounds really good.

The Sweet Potato and Chickpea Salad looks so good. It soudns like something you would find in a restaurant.

Love the costumes your son and his gf wore. They look awesome!!!!

And I have never hear of someone using their dishwasher to steam vegetables. That sounds so crazy to me.

Your Halloween dinner looked amazing!!!

bazu said...

Oh wow- I love persimmons so much. I used to see them much more when I lived in California. I wish I had some so I could make your sauce- very creative! And I should get off my bum and make spring rolls more often- I always have rice paper sitting around, but am too lazy.

Oh, to answer your question on my blog- Vegemite is definitely an aquired taste! The best thing you can do is use teensy insy amounts at first. A basic way of eating it is on a slice of toast with some butter (earth balance). I've learned that a bit in recipes gives a depth and a (for lack of a better term) "beefy" flavor to things. I made some meatballs that I posted on my blog a while back, that used vegemite, and I thought they were amazing. You might not like them though, since the recipe calls for vital wheat gluten. But just as an idea.

Ok, sorry for writing your ear off! Or your eyes!

And I totally understand about people not loving fennel- my mom gags whenever something is fennel-y or licorice-y. I think you're right-you either like it or you don't.

Anonymous said...

I love spring rolls too and yours look just as crispy as if you'd fried them! Neat tip to use the broccoli slaw - saves time chopping all the veggies.