Saturday, November 10, 2007

Pumpkin Coconut Loaf Cake

I’m feeling very left out of VeganMoFo! I’m a little late, but I’m going to try to jump in now and post as much as I can for the rest of the month. To heck with sleep, chores, and errands. Vegan food deserves the top spot now!


My cake is gluten free, but you can make it with 1-2/3 cups AP or WW pastry flour (or a combination) and omit the xantham gum. I get coconut custard powder from the Asian section of my grocery store or the Asian market. Vegan coconut instant pudding mix would work too.



Gluten Free Pumpkin Coconut Loaf Cake

Heat the oven to 350 degrees.

Dry Ingredients:

2/3 cup sorghum flour
1/3 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup chickpea flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup coconut custard powder
2/3 cup granulated sugar/sweetener
2 t. xantham gum
1 t. baking powder
½ t. baking soda
½ t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
½ t. ground ginger
½ t. freshly grated nutmeg
1/3 cup toasted grated coconut (if using sweetened coconut, reduce sugar to ½ cup)
¼ cup toasted chopped pumpkin seeds

Wet Ingredients:

1 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup plain or vanilla milk
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 T. canola oil
1t. apple cider vinegar
1 t. vanilla extract
2 t. coconut extract

Directions:

Lightly oil a 9 x 5 loaf pan.

Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix wet ingredients in a small bowl until thoroughly blended. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Pour into loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto a rack to cool completely.


This is a nice moist cake with all the right hints of fall and holidays.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

it looks inviting and amazing!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

haha, yeah, I too am feeling quite left out of VeganMoFo; but with all my class assignments and exams, I just cannot commit to posting every single day - I'd rather just enjoy everyone else's VeganMoFo posts! :0)

I never thought of combining coconut with pumpkin - what a lovely rendition on the traditional pumpkin loaf!!

Sheree' said...

Amazing! You are a top chef! This is a holiday bread if I ever saw one.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I'm so glad you're joining in on the vegan MOFO because it means more of your great posts! I just happen to have some pumpkin puree sitting around, so I've bookmarked this recipe.

And I AM enjoying this weather! My mom keeps complaining, saying she's sick of summer-y weather, but to me, this is perfection! If it could be 75-80 all year round, I would be thrilled :o).

Vegan_Noodle said...

Oh yum, that sounds like the perfect bread recipe. (even if it doesn't feel like fall yet....)