Sunday, September 28, 2008

Apple Tart with Chocolate Ginger Crust



I created this tart recipe to enter in the Key Ingredient "Apple" contest. Aside from being beautiful, it is deliciously rich with apple flavor. I think the best part is applesauce. If you don't want make the whole tart, you should at least make the applesauce. For some reason I've only made it once before. It's quick and easy, and it's still the best I've ever eaten.


Apple Tart with Chocolate Ginger Crust
serves 10
Ingredients:
Chocolate Ginger Tart Crust:
1-1/4 cups all purpose flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
¼ cup sugar
½ t. ground ginger
¼ t. salt
1 T. candied ginger, minced (Ginger Chews recommended)
6 T. margarine, cut up
2 T. shortening
3 to 5 T. ice water

Applesauce:
2 lbs. gala apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
½ cup apple cider
2 T. apple cider vinegar
2 T. white sugar
1 T. brown sugar
½ t. cinnamon
¼ t. ground ginger

Topping:
3 green apples
2 T. apple jelly
1 T. coarse sugar (optional)

Directions:
Make the crust:
Put flour, cocoa, sugar, ground ginger, salt, and candied ginger into a food processor and pulse to combine. Add margarine and shortening and process until mixture forms crumbs, about 10 seconds. Add 3 T. ice water and pulse a few times. Process just until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. If dough does not come together, add more ice water, 1 T. at a time. Remove dough and press into bottom and sides of a 9-inch tart pan with removable sides. Refrigerate the pan for at least one hour. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Bake the tart for 20 minutes, checking often for “puffs.” (Flatten any puffs with the back of spoon.) Let cool before filling.

Make the applesauce:
Place all applesauce ingredients into a medium saucepan and mix. Simmer over medium low heat until the apples are soft and most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Mash the apples. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. (The applesauce can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for several days. It should be room temperature when you are ready to make the pie.) You may have leftover applesauce.

Assemble the pie:
Heat the oven to 400 degrees.

Fill the tart shell with applesauce to just below the rim.

Peel, core, and thinly slice the green apples. Arrange the slices in a circle on top of the applesauce.

Warm the apple jelly, then brush over the apple slices. Sprinkle on the coarse sugar if using.

Bake 45 minutes or until apples are softened and lightly browned.

Let cool. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.

19 comments:

Bex said...

I need to make this. I love apples, I love ginger, I really love chocolate. It's like it was made for me.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Oh my goodness Diann... what a gorgeous tart!! And a perfect way to welcome apple season!

tofufreak said...

ooh how pretty! very appropriate for fall!

Amy said...

Wow....just....WOW!

Anonymous said...

This is really, really pretty and sounds totally delicious!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! And your desscription definitely sold me.

A.M. said...

It looks gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

YUM! Looks fantastic. And I can't get over that chocolate ginger crust. . . one of my favorite combinations, ever!

Emilie said...

yum--that sounds great!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

PERFECTION!!! Do you think the crust would work with that GF flour that I use??

jessy said...

oooooooooooooo! WOW! this looks amazing! perfect for fall! it sounds so gooooooooooooooooooood!

Usha said...

This sounds absolutely delightful...ginger, apples and chocolate...what's not to love :)

VeganCowGirl said...

Oh My Goodness. All I can say after looking at this fantastic recipe is: you are a vegan baking goddess.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Where do I vote??? Even without tasting it, I can see that the tart is sublime!

Judy's Nutrition said...

Wow, this is totally beautiful and it sounds delicious. I've been in a pie/tart mood lately, perhaps I should give this one a whirl.

urban vegan said...

I hope you win b/c this looks divine. Apples and chocolate together? I think I would love that.

Andrea said...

This looks amazing. I'd be afraid of eating the whole thing!

Anonymous said...

Wow - it's so beautiful! And what great flavour combos! I need to make this since we're deep in apple seaons.

Unknown said...

how come I never left a comment to praise you for this gorgeous tart??