Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Moving Weekend

I’ve finally found time to write a quick post and I hope to catch up with everyone later this evening. It was moving weekend for Chase so we’ve been very very busy with a bazillion things to get done and/or try to get done. Everything is still a little crazy since he’s moved into a much smaller place and many of his things have returned to his room in my house. I cooked A LOT and did EIGHT loads of his laundry. And poor Chase in addition to cleaning the old place and moving into the new place has had to go to work and school and band practice. Fortunately he still lives close by so he can come home to eat, shower, get on the computer, etc. Ughhh.

We did take time for a Sunday dinner with hurried photos, so I’ll give you a quick rundown of what I managed to put together. Chase said he had been living on junk all week, so I made sure to prepare as much healthy food as I could.

For our entrée we had Spaghetti and Hide the Lentils Sauce from ED&BV, only I wasn’t interested in hiding the lentils, and I added in carrots, onions, yellow squash, and fresh parsley and basil. I had my sauce with zucchini pasta and a Portobello mushroom.




I made up some quick Gimme Lean sausage patties. For some reason lentils always make me think of sausage.


La Dolce Vegan’s Easy French bread which was meant to be garlic bread, but we just had it plain.



Of course there’s always time to fix some yummy broccoli, this time prepared with sundried tomatoes.


I made a Roasted Hatch Chili Salsa on Saturday, but it didn’t make it to Sunday dinner. It was really good and of course I didn’t take time to write down a recipe. But I had all fresh ingredients. I started by roasting the chilies, somehow burned my arm really bad while roasting them, and then added in onions, tomatoes, peaches, and cilantro.




On Friday I decided we needed some healthy cookies, so I made up some gluten free cookies with rice krispies, peanuts, and chocolate chips. Chase got to have some right out of the oven which he thought were incredible. I did write down this recipe, and hopefully will get it posted before too long. I LOVE to bake with rice krispies!



I tried to make ice cream twice before I realized my freezer isn’t freezing anymore. But it’s my “extra” freezer, so I don’t have to worry with that issue right now, thank goodness. So for Sunday dessert I pulled out some cake I had frozen back in February, Vcon’s Coconut Lemon Bundt Cake. It was superb back in February, and although a little dry, still yummy on this occasion, served with fresh strawberries and peaches.



I feel bad that I’ve missed some birthdays, anniversaries, and really incredible food posts, but I’ll be by for a visit soon! Have a great week!

21 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

You've certainly been busy, Diann!! Yet you still manage to create such colorful, delectable, hearty meals - how do you do it?!?!??! Kudos!! :0)

Anonymous said...

Wow--you've had lots on your plate! (both figuratively AND literally--!!). I mean, EIGHT loads of laundry???!!

The food, as usual, looks incredible. Love the pasta sauce and the cookies, especially.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Gosh you are SUCH a nice mom, doing eight loads of laundry (!) and making such amazing meals and cookies. No wonder Chase lives close to home! (I'm just like him; I'm always excited to go home to see my parents on weekends.)

And thanks so much for the birthday wishes :o). They made my day.

Sheree' said...

You are an amazing mom. I know that Chase totally loves and appreciates you. Hang in there and get back when you can. I can't wait to try the rice krispie cookies. I also need to try the lentil spaghetti. I love lentils! Does Chase still have smokey?

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

I can hardly wait for the GF cookie recipe! My mom was recently diagnosed w/ Celiac disease, so I'm stockpiling recipes for her. Thanks for a fabulous post!

Amy said...

Mmmm it all looks so good! I love the idea of having sundried tomatoes with broccoli (must try that!) and I can't wait for the cookie recipe...mmmmm cookies!

Anonymous said...

8 loads of laundry? And all this delicious food? Damn woman, you've got energy to spare!

Unknown said...

is it revolution time in the freezing world? no fair.

Catherine Weber said...

Now why haven't I thought of broccoli and sun-dried tomatoes??? YUM.

P.S. Everything looks incredible!

jessy said...

no worries! sounds like you've been super busy! i can't believe you have time to cook all those awesome yummies! lentils & sausages sound like they were just meant to be. i like your idea on using zucchini for noodles. i'm going to have to try that, as there's zucchini galore @ our farmer's market!

your roasted hatch chili salsa looks freak'n beautiful and super fresh & tasty! that stinks that you burned your arm! i hope it heals quickly! :)

i am going to have to check back for your cookie recipe, too - mmmmmmmmmmmm!

Usha said...

Wow everything looks delicious....especially the cookies look drool worthy :)

Kati said...

Happy Blogiversary, Diann! Our blogs' birthdays are only a few weeks apart. I like baking with rice crispies, too - can't wait for the recipe.

Destiny's Kitchen said...

I'm sure all that healthy food made up for the junk, definitely! And I'm super impressed that you made up the cookies, gluten-free, no less! Wow.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Busy times!! And you still found time to cook all that food? You are one amazing woman!

Haha, had to laugh at your comment about not hiding the lentils. They suit me just fine as well so no need to hide them :-) Can't wait for your cookie recipe. Never thought to add rice krispies to cookies!

urban vegan said...

You're funny. You cook more food--and it's all lovely and healthy--than most of us will in a month, even when you're so busy.

Happy move to Chase.

Jackie said...

I have nominated you for the BFF (Blogging Friends Forever) award, details on my blog.

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

I love how, as vegans, lentils = sausage, 'cause they really kinda do! XD

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Just wanted to check and see you are ok?

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Ouch! So sorry you burned your arm...

But seriously, aren't Hatch Chiles the best things EVER? Whenever the boy comes up to visit me, he brings SOMETHING green chile-ish... but the fresh ones that I roast myself are my fave!!

Amey said...

oh my goodness...
that all sounds like a pretty exhausted weekend. I hope Chase is settling in nicely.

So glad the GF baking mixes arrived safe and sound! I hope you have lots of fun with them.

:)

funwithyourfood said...

Hatch chili salsa! I love it... :)

Teddy