Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I CAN Make Breakfast!

Most of you know I am not a breakfast eater. Never have been. Chase loves breakfast, so every now and then I like to make him breakfast for dinner, which is what I served for our most recent Sunday dinner. On the menu was Tofu Migas (a scramble with onions, peppers, salsa, and tortillas strips), Crispy Roasted Potatoes, Julie’s Steamed Sausages, Homemade Pinto Beans, and Cinnamon Pancakes. Sorry I only have a few blurry pictures in poor lighting. Here’s Chase’s plate of migas, sausage, potatoes, and beans, which he enjoyed very much.




I actually made the pancakes ahead of time and then warmed them in the micro before serving. I recently acquired two of my mom’s 30 year old griddles. They are about 10 inches wide and 30 inches long! I tested one, which seems to cook a little uneven, but made great pancakes 6 at a time.


We really enjoyed the maple syrup, bluebarb jam, and habanero sauce from Bex with this meal.


On the homefront:
* I had to go to the doctor to get antibiotics to shake the flu, which seems to have settled in my ears, making me extremely miserable.
* Half of the parts for my kitchen lighting have come in.
* Yesterday it was a record setting 81 degrees in the afternoon. I went to a Christmas party after work and it was much cooler by then. When I left the party it was very windy and had started raining. On the drive home it began to sleet, and while I was asleep it snowed! Good ol’ Texas weather.
* Today I had lunch with friends at a great new café with many vegan options. It’s Eat Local Week here, but this café always serves fresh local food. It was outstanding as were the prices and quick service. I had today’s specials, chickpea cholent and collards with maple syrup, both delish. We shared some mushroom dumplings and panko crusted fried green beans for appetizer, also yum. Another luncher had mushroom fritter tacos which looked amazing and some slaw she let me taste which was also great. So, if you’re near Austin I highly recommend Somnio’s Café on South First.


I may try making some flatbreads on the other griddle. I think Jessy has some good recipes. Anybody else have a recommendation?

30 comments:

Andrea said...

I love to eat breakfast but I hate to make it. Maybe having it for dinner is the answer! Yours looks amazing, as usual.

Hope the drugs work fast.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

OOOOOH, divine.

Jes said...

Your breakfast for dinner smörgåsbord looks amazing--I'm rather jealous, actually! For not liking breakfast, you pulled off a feast!

I hope you feel better soon, my fingers are crossed that your antibiotics work!

Anonymous said...

I'm so envious of those sausages. . . wish I could have seitan! But not envious of that flu/whatever--poor you! I hate ear infections. Hope it's gone soon (but yay on the lighting!)

Gina said...

Yum! I love breakfast, but I almost always get into a breakfast rut. I'll eat the exact same thing for breakfast until one of the crucial ingredients runs out!

Bex said...

I need to make me some breakfast for dinner. The pancakes just look so fluffy golden good.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I hope you are feeling better soon Diann. I am sure this breakfast dinner cheered you up!

Anonymous said...

I love breakfast for dinner!!! One of my favourites, ever.
That is so cool that you scored your mum's griddles! I wish I lived closer to mine, she has so many things she'd love to "pass on" to me, but because I'm so far away (and shipping is so expensive) it's not possible.
I sure hope you're feeling better soon - the flu is so icky!

Virginia said...

i need to do some breakfast for dinner soon! i have been seeing a lot of that on blogs lately.

yeah i just saw this morning on the weather channel about it snowing in texas....send some over to south carolina, i have never seen snow!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

You can make breakfast. And how!

allularpunk said...

brinner is the best! i always find it difficult to sneak veggies into a breakfast for dinner night though... yours looks so awesome! i haven't had a tofu scramble in a while, and i've really been craving one. mmm!

urban vegan said...

I usually only eat a proper American breakfast on weekends. Otherwise, a soy cappucino gets me through the day.

Your breaky looks lovely.

Hope you're feeling better. Sometimes, you do need a little extra help.

Bianca said...

That is one hell of a breakfast! Chase's plate is making me drool, as breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.

kmouse said...

Oh man, pancakes!!! I love breakfast for dinner.

Anonymous said...

I adore breakfast foods, but now I usually sleep to late to eat in the morning. Breakfast for dinner is awesome though, and those pancakes sound like they'd really hit the spot right about now!

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

there is absolutely nothing like a generous breakfast spread, and by the time you got to mentioning the pancakes I was swooning. also, I like how it's called bluebarb jam! :D

Sheree' said...

Breakfast for dinner is a favorite around here. I too rarely eat breakfast, but I do love a good tofu scramble. Julie's sausages are awesome and frequent our freezer often. I love making batches and having them ready in a moments notice.

I am so sorry the bug has still got you down. Hopefully your meds will help kick it out the door.

Last night I got texts from my mom, sister, and daughter about snowing in Texas. My sister even got enough to build a little snowman. My dad who is from Hawaii, born and raised, stayed in bed. He said it is too cold!!!

Judy said...

Mmmm I always get hungry when I visit your blog. And good luck with the antibiotics - you may want to look into pro-biotics after ur treatment to help restore healthy body flora, and keep your digestion working smoothly.

Amy said...

Mmmmm nummy looking breakfast!

jessy said...

ohhhhhhh, yummy! i wish i was having breakfast with you all! superjealousface!

maybe i need a griddle. i could use a bit 'ol space with lots of even heat to make lots of yummies on! your pancakes look so tasty & perfect! i bet there's a griddle i could find at a thrift store if i look hard enough! yay!

hooray for eating local week - sounds like you enjoyed lots of deliciousness! and i'm glad the parts for your kitchen and roll'n in! texas weather IS crazy! stay warm & get back to 100%! and let us know if you make any tasty flatbread! they're my favorite! mmmmmmmmmmm!

Ruby Red said...

Wow, are you sure you don't make breakfast for like every single meal? You sure seem like an expert! I would never be able to make that much food for dinner; by the end of the day I don't have that much energy! All my most complicated eats are made in the a.m. -- breakfast is my favorite! I never knew exactly what migas were, but know that I know, it sounds like a big serving of awesome with tofu scramble.

Somnio's Cafe sounds delicious! Yay for chickpea cholent, that sounds yummy. I hope your flu shoos away soon. :)

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Wow, that is a major breakfast spread!

Anonymous said...

I have been on a waffle kick myself lately . . . but now have enough to keep me for a while.

I'll have to check out Somnio's, to see if it has anything that would interest DH, too.

VeganCowGirl said...

What wild weather!
I love your scrambled up tofu - it looks amazingly yummmmy. I bet Chase loved it! How couldn't he - you are such a rockin' cock. What a lucky dude.

Hope the flu is starting to head off to other parts of the world. Sorry to hear you had to visit the dr. never fun.

Get better and have a great day!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Crazy weather! Breakfast for dinner is such a treat! I love those days!

I'm so sorry the flu is still making you miserable! I hope you are feeling better now!

Vegan_Noodle said...

That meal is my dream breakfast for dinner. Wasn't the snow crazy! I can't believe it actually stuck here in Houston. Hope you are feeling well now!

Anonymous said...

I love breakfast for dinner and yours looks delish!

I can't believe Marty's been holding out on me. He never told me that word (55) before - probably because after funf he knew I'd incessantly ask him to say it over and over again. I'm cracking up out loud right now! Thanks for sharing such a great word with me Diann!

A.M. said...

I'm sorry you got sick; hope you're all better now!

Penny said...

I'm totally going to Somnio's this April when I'm in Austin! Everything looks fantastic.

Anonymous said...

I love eating breakfast and always try new recipes. I would love to try the tofu migas for breakfast. that looks tasty. Tofu is also a healthy food option and can make a satisfying meal. The Photos are amazing... I am already feeling hungry.