Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Zukay Live Foods – a Review

I was recently gifted with a box of 6 jars of salsas and relishes from Zukay Live Foods. Zukay is a new company with a trendy, innovative concept. Their salsas and relishes are made from all natural, mostly raw, locally sourced foods and infused with vegan probiotics. This idea is especially intriguing to me since (a) I’m vegan; (b) I have digestive issues; and (c) I’m soy intolerant. Capsules were my only option for probiotics, until now.

Zukay has a wonderful website with LOTS of information about their company, products, ingredients, probiotics, and the fermentation process. They also have nice pictures of their products, but so you can see them now, here are some pictures of what I got in my box:






How do the products taste? Well, yes, you can tell there is something different about them. I would not say the products are really *fizzy,* but perhaps have a mouthfeel more like they added some baking soda to them.


I like the salsas okay. A Texan is probably not the best person to ask to review salsa. I could get about 25 really really delicious fresh local salsas from any grocer in town. I could not detect any heat in the Zukay mild salsa, and I could barely detect any heat in hot salsa. But like I said, that’s just me and they are definitely worth a try if you enjoy salsas.

The relishes, however, get a big huge thumbs up! I absolutely love both of them. They taste so fresh and both the garlic and horseradish flavors are clean and clear and in just the right amounts.

A serving of these products has a mere 5 calories and no fat, so I have been adding them to lots of my vegetable dishes. I don’t know that I’ve eaten enough to balance my intestinal flora, but I’ve certainly been enjoying them. Zukay Live Food products are not yet available nationwide in stores, but they are available to everyone from their online shop, so do check them out when you get a chance.

Thank you, Scott, for your wonderful, generous gift!

18 comments:

Virginia said...

sounds interesting but the *fizziness* is a turn off for me...i can't stand that mouth feel. they look good though!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Interesting!! Thanks for the reviews!!

miss v said...

they look good, but i too am a salsa snob. but the relishes sound delightful!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting indeed! I got an email from them as well, but I haven't yet had time to respond... I guess I should try them myself!

Crystal said...

Can't wait to try these - they should be arriving to my doorstep next week. I have a few of my colleagues just as anxious as I am.

MeloMeals said...

I am going to review mine today too. I have tasted all of them, but only used the hot. I agree, they need more heat.. but the base flavors are really good and I felt really good after eating them.

Carrie™ said...

Free food is always a plus! I was interested to hear what you thought because the products sounded delicious. As a Canadian, waaaaay far away from Texas, and as a person with a baby mouth, the salsas sound OK to me.
Great photos for test recipes BTW. Are you having as much fun with this as I am?

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Thanks for the review and hooray for free gifts! I was thinking the same thing about asking a Texan to review salsas when I starting reading your post. ;) Glad you enjoyed the relishes, though.

Unknown said...

Kombucha, Kim Chee, homemade Sauerkraut all can be/are vegan and contain no soy and tons of probiotics. My body works better with real food bourne probiotics than capsules for some reason, I'm a kombucha addict :) It really, really helps with my digestive issues and I can make it at home.

jessy said...

ooooooh! thanks for the review! what a cool gift, too! i'm gonna keep an eye out for these - especially the relish! mmmmmmmm!

Gina said...

How cool!! I am by no means a salsa snob, haha, but the fizziness does sound strange...not enough for me to never try it though :)

Sheree' said...

I received mine also and hope to do my review this weekend. It is so fun to get new vegan products to try and review. Gotta get the word out, Vegan is good!!!

Anonymous said...

How cool to be asked to test! I've tried to make some naturally fermented condiments myself and I know what you mean about the fizzy feeling, but how wonderful!

Bianca said...

Neato! I'm a little obsessed with probiotics! I have digestion issues too and since I've started taking probiotics everyday (I take a tablespoon full of this awesome smoothie super-food probiotic liquid daily), I have far less issues.

I would love to find this stuff around here.

Andrea said...

I can't wait to get my sample pack. We love fermented foods but I might agree with you on the salsa! We'll see.

Amy said...

Wow, what a wonderful way to get your probiotics! Glad you got to try such deliciousness! (I'm jealous ;))

Anonymous said...

Fizzy sound good to me, but I prefer a more complex and spicy salsa. The condiments sound really good.

Thanks for the review!

TJF said...

What do I need to do to get a chance to test these products? The relishes sound awesome and I would love to try them on a vegan reuben, at portlandveganreubens.blogspot.com.