Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Gado-gado

Gado-gado is an Indonesian mixed vegetable salad with peanut dressing. I made a low fat vegan version for dinner tonight. A true gado-gado usually includes fried tofu, fried onions, and hard-boiled eggs. The salad can be mixed or layered. My salad doesn't have any tofu. It is layered with these veggies in this order: mixed greens, purple cabbage, boiled white potatoes, steamed green beans, mung bean sprouts, grated carrots, roasted cauliflower, and sauteed red onions.

I used Spicy Peanut Butter Dressing from Moosewood Low-Fat Favorites.

Makes 1 cup

3 tablespoons peanut butter
1/4 cup water
1 clove pressed garlic
1 fresh chili (I used jalepeno), chopped
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1 tablespoon Bragg's
1/4 cup diced fresh tomato
2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Put all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.

This salad with the dressing was a great combination of flavors and really filling! Yes, I did eat it all.....

11 comments:

Candi said...

This sauce sounds great! I love the salad you made too. THe potatoes looks awesome! I'd love to try this. Low fat too? YAY!

Harmonia said...

Looks and sounds great! I really need to work on my peanut sauces...I have yet to make one correctly. lol

Susan Voisin said...

This looks absolutely delicious!

bazu said...

Yum. I would eat a salad like that any day. I have a craving for cauliflower dipped in peanut sauce, now!

Emmy said...

I'm just catching up with your blog. It's been a hectic week for me. The Gado-Gado looks incredible. Love variety of veggies in it.

Awww, what a sweet picture of you and your son below. That's great he helps out in the kitchen :) The mini-tarts looks so cute too!

I haven't tried the Millet-Spinach soup yet from Nava Atlas' cookbook. I'll have to put that on the to-make list. Thanks for sharing the Crunchy Tofu Coating and Mango Jalapeno Aoili recipes. They look great!!!

Nikk said...

I've always wanted to try Gado-gado! This looks really good...and simple too!

Anonymous said...

I'm saving this recipe and will be trying it !
Looks awesome and I like the name ! :)

Mary French said...

I will definitely try the Spicy peanut butter dressing. It sounds good.

I loved the pictures of you, your son, and his girl friend.

Anonymous said...

I love peanut sauce but have never made it. The one you posted looks great - may make a good alternative to my old standard (accidentally vegan Kraft Creamy Italian).

Jackie said...

I haven't had Gado Gado for 40 years as I only knew the meat version. I shall give it a try as yours souds and looks great.

Thanks for the visit. I will do my next posting on Tart Cherries once I have researched it a bit as I haven't heard of them as I am lucky to get a fresh cherry of any kind here :)

K Allrich said...

Nothing like a good peanut sauce. Yum.