Saturday, May 30, 2009

Figaros – Sweet Freedom Saturday

Awhile back I had the delicious privilege of being one of Ricki’s testers for her cookbook full of treats, Sweet Freedom. So when shellyfish began her Sweet Freedom Saturdays, it was easy to decide to join in.

One of the things I love most about Ricki’s recipes is that they are so easy. Most of the ones I’ve made don’t even require an electric mixer – just bowls and spoons. Since I had tested lots of yummy treats already, I picked out a cookie I hadn’t made before. I chose Figaros, your healthified Fig Newton.



No figs on hand? No problem! I didn’t have any figs either so I used prunes, I mean dried plums. And you know what? They still tasted exactly like the Fig Newtons I remember, only better because they didn’t have sugar and chemical preservatives.

I need to say that I got a copy of Babycakes and after reading the book twice, there is still not a single recipe I want to run into the kitchen and bake. On the other hand, there are 3 Sweet Freedom cookie recipes I have bookmarked now that I can’t decide between to bake for tomorrow. But I’m leaning toward oatmeal.

20 comments:

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Ricki's recipe + your cooking skills = one amazing creation. I only wish I could taste it!

Tami said...

That is exactly what I want right now.

Andrea said...

I used to love fig newtons. Ricki's cookbook is sitting in my Amazon shopping cart just waiting to be ordered.

Ricki said...

Diann, your Figaros look amazing! Thanks so much for joining the SF Saturdays! :) I love the prune--er, dried plum--version. And you just made my entire weekend with your BabyCakes comparison--whoo! I had planned to order the cookbook, but am wondering if I should now--?

A.M. said...

O, that looks so good; that top layer, yum!

Amy said...

I've never had a fig newton before (they don't sell them here :() but that looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

I love that you made these - I have been *waiting* to make them because I don't have any dried figs...but I have dried plums!!! I don't know if I can wait until next Saturday for these...
I'll link you up right now! :)

Gina said...

Ugh, I so want this book!!! I have another recipe in it that I am dying to make, but this is high on my list...I LOOOVE Fig Newtons. I was just telling my husband how much I loved them yesterday, actually.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Oh wowee! Those look good! Clever girls :)

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Oh wowee! Those look good! Clever girls :)

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Oh wowee! Those look good! Clever girls :)

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Oh wowee! Those look good! Clever girls :)

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Oh wowee! Those look good! Clever girls :)

Sheree' said...

I agree with CCV! I want to make those right now! I love figgy bars!!

Oraphan said...

That sounds really good and it looks so amazing. I would love to try to make it. =D

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen) said...

Slowly working my way through the goodness of Sweet Freedom. I had the delightful experience of meeting Ricki last weekend. Will have scooch ahead a little and give these a go in my kitchen

jessy said...

the figgy bars look stunning, Diann! i've gotta get Ricki's cookbook! think i'm gonna have to order it this weekend 'cause the figgy bars look too darn delicious not to! mmmmmmmmmmmm!

Usha said...

These fig bars look awesome !

allularpunk said...

fig newtons remind me of my grandma and i miss them! haven't had one in years and years...

Anonymous said...

I have that recipe bookmarked and after seeing your post I've decided that they will be next on the baking list! YUM!