Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother’s Day!

Happy Mother’s Day to all of you celebrating with your mom or your children! Chase is working today, so he and I will celebrate later this week, but I did get to spend some time with my mom. After church we went out for lunch. I had some nice grilled veggies with balsamic glaze…


… green salad …


… and a Poinsettia - cranberry juice and champagne!


Here’s a few pictures of what’s been cooking around here recently.

Isa’s Perfect Grilled Portobello. I had a Portobello the size of a dinner plate and of course needed to do something fabulous with it. Isa’s recent post seemed in order. Here it is marinating.



I grilled it outdoors the best I could on a very windy day.



I didn’t make a sandwich of it, but it was a juicy burger on its own. Perfect indeed.



I think I made three meals out of that huge thing!


I boiled and browned some Brussels sprouts, then coated them with my favorite mustard dressing and fresh dill.


My mustard dressing recipe is equal amounts of Dijon mustard and apricot allfruit, thinned with a little water, milk, or yogurt.


I fixed myself a huge taco salad for Cinco de Mayo. It was really delicious with fresh greens, cilantro, onions, salsa, black beans, homemade cheese, and tortilla chips.


I picked up another CSA box that looks pretty similar to the last one with beets, carrots, cilantro, dill, green garlic, green onions, lettuce, radishes, swiss chard, turnips, and strawberries. Last night I made mashed turnips and kohlrabi …



… and turnip greens with green garlic and green onions.


So fresh and delicious.

I hope you all had a wonderful Mother’s Day weekend.

PS - This is my 300th post!!!

25 comments:

Ricki said...

Happy Mother's Day to you, too! And wow--300 posts!! Congratulations!

All the food sounds great--but your mix of dijon and apricot jam in the dressing seems most delicious to me. Perfect.

jessy said...

happy mother's day, Diann! that's awesome that you got to spend time with your mother, and that's great that Chase will be celebrating mother's day with you later this week. i've never had a poinsettia - they look so pretty and sound deeelish! hooray for a rock'n taco salad, some scrumptious brussels, and those greens - mmmmmmmmmmmmm! happy 300th post! that rocks so hard, Diann! wahoooooo!

Noodlegirl said...

Happy Mother's Day gosh I wish I was there to eat those meals!

Andrea said...

Happy Mother's Day, Diann, it's great that you got to spend time with your mom.

The food all looks so fresh and yummy. One of these days I have to make one of those grilled mushrooms! And I wouldn't mind a nice glass of champagne to go with it . . .

Amy said...

Happy Mothers Day Diann! And congratulations on the big 300th post!!!

I am loving the look of that Portabella Mushroom! How have I missed that recipe?!?!

Enjoy your belated Mum's Day with Chase :)

Catherine Weber said...

that is one heckuva portobello!

Happy Mother's Day to you!

Oraphan said...

Happy Mother's Day, Diann! It was so wonderful that you got to spend time with your mom. All the food looks so amazing especially that portabella mushroom, it keeps calling my name. I think I'm craving mushrooms again. And congratulations on your 300th post!!! =D

Kris said...

Happy Mother's Day and Happy 300th!

Everything looks great, as always. I love your Cinco salad, what kind of homemade cheeze did you make? I've been contemplating that portobello post. I have a hard time cooking them and making them not-gooshy.

Janet said...

Congratulations on your 300th post! And Happy Mother's Day to you too :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day, Diann! You're a great mother - Chase is a lucky guy! And 300th post - wee haw!
Ok, I've never, ever seen a portobello that big before! That's crazy!

A_and_N said...

Hey Diann, Happy Mother's day. Your post clearly indicates that you had a good one :) The portobello looks gorgeous!

Carrie said...

Wow, that is the largest portobello I have ever seen....!

urban vegan said...

Happy belated Mama's Day.

That's the biggest portobella I've ever seen.

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Happy 300th post and happy belated Mother's Day!

Bianca said...

Happy belated Mother's Day! The veggies with balsamic look delish!

Lisa said...

Wow, congrats on number 300! By celebrating again later this week, you get to extend the holiday!

Hannah said...

How funny, we fired up the grill over here, too! (And twice, since we celebrated with both sides of the family) Looks like some great stuff, as per usual.

Jes said...

Beautiful portobello! I made those on mothers day at our cook-out. So fabulous!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Happy belated Mom's Day! Everything looks delish & I LOVE Brussels Sprouts!

Anonymous said...

Yum. All the food looks terrific. The peaches came from the Sunset Valley Farmers Market. They are delicious. Hope you have a lovely day.

allularpunk said...

happy mother's day! what an awesome post full of yummy creations! that mushroom is...gargantuan...crazy :)

miss v said...

happy mother's day (a little late)! glad to hear you like mustard dressing with your brussels too... yum!

jb said...

Your meal looks delicious, such an array of colors! Congratulations on your 300th post!

MeloMeals said...

Happy Mother's Day! You get to celebrate it twice!

I am drooling over that mushroom and the greens!

I'm celebrating Mother's Day this Sunday with my boys.. (I was sick on Mother's Day)

Unknown said...

Happy Mother's Day!
No offense to Isa, but I'd rather have a mushroom burger taste like vinegar than wine :P