Thursday, May 21, 2009

Tater Hot Picnic Salad

As if you need another potato salad recipe…. but I found this super delish accidentally vegan version that would be great for any Memorial Day parties you may be asked to bring food to this weekend. I took this salad to an Austin Food Bloggers Potluck last weekend and didn’t have any leftovers to bring home. (Pictures from the potluck are at the end of the post.) It’s a beautiful salad and just a little spicy.




Tater Hot Picnic Salad
From Sabroso! magazine

Serves 12

Ingredients:
Salad:
2 pounds small red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered (bite-size pieces)
1 t. olive oil
2 cups corn, fresh or frozen
¾ cup chopped celery
¾ cup finely chopped purple onion
¾ cup chopped red bell pepper
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 big jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Dressing:
¼ cup olive oil
1/3 cup fresh or good quality bottled lime juice (I used a mix of both)
2 t. salt
1 t. black pepper
2 chipotle peppers, finely chopped

Directions:

Put a steamer basket in a Dutch oven with 1 inch of water. Add potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and steam for 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are just tender. Drain, then put into a large bowl and cool to room temperature.

Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add corn and sauté about 5 minutes or until corn is lightly browned. Add the corn and the remaining salad ingredients to the potatoes.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Stir in chipotles. Drizzle over salad, using only as much as you like. Cover and chill at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.


Here’s a few pictures from the Potluck.



(This picture from Boots in the Oven. Please visit her blog for gorgeous photography and writing.) On the blanket are Cookie Madness and Vegan Vanguard; in the background is me (in the chair) with the Casserole Queens, who took on Bobby Flay in a Throwdown!


The man on the stairs is our host, The Soup Peddler. He is an incredible success story and if you have time, you should visit his website. Incidentally, he told me he thinks the soup recipes in VCon are incredible.


The Casa de Luz group, Fun With Your Food, her roomie I Don't Believe In Diets, and Vegan Vanguard.



On the right, our organizer, Relish Austin, and Thai Fresh.



The last of the food. This dish with the blue spoon was my potato salad.



Some cute little cuppers!


Behind the cute cuppers are Vegan Vanguard’s most delicious Chocolate PB Cupcakes. I need to ask her for her cake recipe. It was the softest cake I’ve ever had!

Have a super terrific Memorial Day weekend!

25 comments:

Eddie G said...

Fun, fun!

Andrea said...

Adding beans and corn to a potato salad is a great idea, and chipotlé dressing is even better. That potluck looks like a wonderful event.

Adriana said...

I love the galvanized containers!

Oraphan said...

What a beautiful salad!!! Looks so yummy and tasty plus it sounds easy for me to make. That's so wonderful that you get to share food and hang out with other bloggers!!! Now I have more blogs to view especially Thai Fresh (too bad I don't eat meat anymore but I enjoy reading her blog). Thanks for sharing, Diann! =D

Sindy said...

What a wonderful blogger's potluck! Looks like your potato salad was a big hit =)

Lisa said...

what a great recipe! And you remind me that our local food blogger group is overdue for a get together.

Gina said...

Looks beautiful! What a nice gathering of friends :)

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen) said...

Looks like a wonderful afternoon and a delicious recipe.

Vegan_Noodle said...

I could always use another potato salad recipe! Especially one with a kick ;-)

Seems like all the Austins vegans have blogs! And great food! I may come up and crash yalls next potluck!

Jes said...

I love the chipotle addition to the recipe! We're spicy potato salad buddies today :)

Anonymous said...

It must be so good to have get togethers like that - tha food and the people look great!

Regina said...

That salad looks amazing!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

How fun!

I saw that episode of Throwdown. I hope they gave you some recipes to veganize!

East Village Vegan said...

Thanks for the recipe. I was hoping to make a potato salad for this weekend and now will try yours.

jessy said...

i could always use another potato salad recipe, Diann! potatoes = my favorite! yours looks especially deeeelicious – and so colorful! yay! (gotta love a tater salad with a kick! mmmmmmmm!) hooray for all the glorious potluck awesomeness!!! superw00t!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That potato salad looks amazing! I would have never thought to put beans and corn in a potato salad. Now I'm kinda kicking myself. I gotta try this.

A_and_N said...

There is not one form of potato that I can say no to :)

Wheeler's Crew said...

The potato salad looks beautiful! From the picture it looks like everyone at the potluck really loved it! Great post

Ricki said...

I love the colors in that salad! And the party looks like so much fun.

Anonymous said...

What a fun potluck! I always over-eat at potlucks because I want to try everything (well, at vegan pot-lucks that is!). And you can never have too many potato salad recipes - and yours is all spicy and colorful!

Liz said...

Okay, I know the title is "Tater Hot Picnic Salad", but at first I read "Tater TOT Picnic Salad". Now I want to make the salad with tater tots. Less healthy, yes, but what isn't good with tater tots?

Devan said...

Blog! :)

http://sunbeamsandprettythings.blogspot.com/

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

eek! so you obviously had the best memorial day weekend ever! so much delicious food and good company it looks like. :)

Anonymous said...

Levi jeans
Diesel Jeans
Levis Jeans
wedding dresses
wedding dress
cheap wedding dresses
plus size wedding dresses
beautiful wedding dresses
discount wedding dresses
designer wedding dresses
lace wedding dresses
cheap naruto cosplay
naruto cosplay
cosplay naruto
anime cosplay
cheap cosplay costumes
cheap Gemstone Jewelry

Irina said...

Your potato salad is the best recipe I have seen. It tastes great! I saw the Throw down with casserole queens, hope they shared some good recipes with you. They sure loved your spicy salad. I enjoyed both making and eating it!