Sunday, September 24, 2006

Farewell to Summer

I hate for summer to end. Yeh, it was the hottest August EVER, but cold, rainy weather is no fun. Sundays are usually family get-togethers. My son has been sick and he asked me to fix his favorite meal - grilled tofu steaks with onion-mushroom gravy, sweet potato fries, and a cold salad. Tonight's salad was good, but is still in the development stage.


Right now it is Broccoli Salad with Apricot Tahini Dressing. It has broccoli flowerets and stems, julienned carrots, red onion, water chestnuts, and dried apricots. I think I need to add toasted almonds, and more apricot flavor and a little crushed red pepper to the dressing. I seem to always want to make everything spicy and I was trying to stay away from that, but oh well....

For a sweet ending, I made Dreena's Easy Pleasin' Oat Bars, which it seems everyone is baking lately. I added chocolate chips to mine. It's a great recipe, but I think next time I'd like to try also adding peanuts or peanut butter.

6 comments:

madeinalaska said...

you are an awsome mom! to make your boy such a great meal.. at his request none the less!
looks great.. we eat a lot of sweet potato fries around here.. the tofu.. not so much my younger kids just haven't felt the tofu love yet..unless is it hiden. well, I recently got them to eat baked tofu nuggets! yea me.. anyhoo i have been reading your blog lately this is my first comment.
keep up the good work and I hope your son feels better real soon!
take care
julee

bazu said...

Your food looks so beautiful and tasty... yum!
I totally understand what you mean about lamenting the end of Summer- where did it go? And I'm afraid of what's to come, because the Farmer's Almanac said this year is going to have a pretty bad Winter... and I live in upstate NY! Ack!
I hope your son feels better too.

KleoPatra said...

Just discovered your blog thru Bazu. I like what you are doin' here! Just wanted to drop by and say hello... And i also hope good health is in the works for your son... and continued good health to you as well!

~K

Emmy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm always happy to find new vegan blogs to read :)

Your food looks tasty and very colorful. The salad sounds yummy. I've never eated water chestnuts in a salad, usually only in stir frys and what not. I'll have to try that. I can totally relate to trying to make everything spicy!!!

Nikk said...

That salad looks great! Water chestnuts are always great in salad...love that crunch!

Anonymous said...

How cool that your son eats tofu! That's really good - I'm lucky if I can get my daughter to eat anything veg.