Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Busy at the Stovetop

Autumn Harvest Stew from Nava Atlas’ soup cookbook - a nice steamy bowl.



This is basically Three Sisters Stew, which I love. This version was a little bland, but it can get kicked up served over some tasty rice. I like to add edamame to it for some more color. I made this a week ago and still have several servings left. You are warned – it makes a ton! I think I prefer the version of this stew from 150 Vegan Favorites.


One night I decided I had to have Susan V’s Spinach and Artichoke Pie. But it was 7:00 and I didn’t have any phyllo. So to satisfy my craving, I made the filling and added in mushrooms, roasted red peppers, and a can of chickpeas.


It was wonderful and I will definitely make the pie someday. In the meantime, Crystal made it and posted hers. Check it out here.


For lunch on the weekend, I warmed up some of the leftover filling and put it on top of my salad greens. I really like hot stuff on top of my cold salad. Is this weird or do you all do this too?


I made a tofu scramble for Chase – tofu, black beans, tomatoes, onions, green chilies, lots of garlic, chili powder and cumin, and a bit of nutritional yeast. I bought him a bunch of flour tortillas too so he can have a take-a-long breakfast for school.


I had lots of veggies left over from our Chinese New Year dinner, so I made a sugar snap stirfry. I used almost a whole daikon radish, onions, bok choy, and bean sprouts. I wasn’t ready for another stirfry so soon, so I made a very light peanut sauce – so light I didn’t even use a blender – and it was fabulous. I wish I didn’t love peanuts so much.



I was bad two times. Sheree posted about Apple Swirl Bread from The Everyday Vegan. If you love apples, you will love this bread as much as I did.




And a healthy bowl of oatmeal that I tainted with chocolate chips and peanuts. It was so good – all the little chips were melting, yum!




I’m feeling quite stressed lately, so I’ll probably be cooking a lot to unwind. I worked late tonight, I have to be in early in the morning, and Chase threw his back out again. That poor child has had back problems since he was 14. I’m sure it’s from those incredibly heavy backpacks he has always had to carry to school. Is it Friday yet?

14 comments:

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

The pie filling looks yummy - bet it was delicious on salad! I'm the kind that likes to keep hot stuff to a bare minimum on my cold salads.
Sorry to hear about Chase's back - from a teacher, kid's backpacks are too heavy! Some of my students used luggage with wheels - not as cool or handy, but easy on the back.

KleoPatra said...

Oh wow, you make a mean buncha healthy vittles there. I'm wishing i was in your kitchen to watch you work your magic (and offer some help... and my taste buds!)...

GREAT STUF!!!

Twisted Cinderella said...

sorry about the stress. I do beleive those backpacks are way to heavy for kids these days.

The food all looks heavenly. I made Tofu scramble for the first time today to try to combat my egg breakfast cravings. I was wonderful and definitely a replacement for my eggs!

laura k said...

Yum to everything--I really like the Three Sisters stew... and it was a great idea to make that pie filling! I don't really like hot stuff on cold salad greens, but I don't think it's weird--I can definitely understand liking that! I love your "tainted" oatmeal... I've been thinking about what a nice treat chocolate oatmeal would be, and morning is the best time to splurge since you still have a full day to eat right! Hehehe.

Anonymous said...

I love hot stuff on my salad too. I really like to boil some potatoes, cool them slightly and add those to my salad. With all the veggies in your post, it looked so colorful.

Kati said...

Every single thing in this post looks so delicious! That autumn harvest stew is beautiful. I love colorful meals. I made that apple bread around Christmas and thought it was delightful, even though my swirls didn't really "swirl" correctly. Did you have better luck? The breakfast burritos sound like a wonderful idea - I've been craving something hearty in the morning. And I don't think it's weird about your hot and cold salads, especially in the winter. In fact, they recommend doing that in Fit for Life.

Sorry to hear about Chase's back. Has he tried yoga?

erica said...

It's all gorgeous food!

I personally don't care much for hot stuff on my salads, because it makes the greens icky. But I like the hot stuff *cooled* on my salad, like gyro tempeh or seitan on the salad - then it's a full meal and not just a salad.

(I described my fasting experience a little bit, since I wrote it yesterday I've had a few more detox symptoms such as blemishes on my arms, which I never get.)

scottishvegan said...

All that food looks so colourful! I like warm stuff on my salad sometimes too. I don’t think it’s weird at all :)

Emmy said...

That stew looks so colorful and tasty. And yum on the tofu scramble...especially when made into a breakfast burrito. Haven't tried the Apple Swirl Bread yet from Everyday Vegan but it certainly sounds delish. I love dessert-style breads. And Rob would love that bowl of oatmeal.

Hope you can de-stress soon and that Chase feels better :)

bazu said...

That oatmeal is just calling out to me right now. Oooh and the apple bread. Gee, I'm in a very sweets mood, aren't I?

I hope both you and Chase feel better soon. I know how stress can seem to build on itself, so I hope you have a recuperative weekend. Cause it's friday now!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

What beautiful, wholesome veggie-packed meals, atx!
I cook to unwind as well, and wish you some tasty de-stressing. I sometimes find myself having been in the kitchen for an hour and a half right after work, still in my office gear, focusing on a soup or whatnot. ah.

MeloMeals said...

Poor kid... seeing your child in pain is so horrible...

Everything looks so good.. the stew is so colorful... I am like you, I love warm toppings on my salad... especially with sturdy greens... and that tofu scramble looks so good.

bazu said...

P.S. I forgot to mention, I totally love hot things on my salad. I will throw any combination of things together and call it a salad- they are often the most satisfying meals.

Sheree' said...

I am so sorry you son has back trouble. I know what that is like. How about a back pack on wheels? I am so hungry today! Your food pics and ideas are making it worse, but I can't stop myself. Your blog is fantastic!