Sunday, February 11, 2007

A "Heart-y" Valentine Dinner

I don't normally get too excited about eating. I mostly enjoy the cooking and preparation. But I was really looking forward to tonight's dinner. I bought heart shaped pasta....



... and made a pasta dish of broccoli, roasted yellow peppers, sundried tomatoes, and a soymilk "cream" sauce. I just realized I forgot to put in the olives - rats! I thought it needed more salt, but it needed the olives! Oh, well. We rarely have pasta, so this was quite a tasty treat for us.


I also made green beans, potatoes, and carrots, with a little EB and garlic salt and pepper. Simply delicious.


I took a pound of seitan from the freezer and after thawing, cut it into heart shapes. I breaded it with panko and baked it. I also made a fantastic carmelized onion and date relish to serve with it. I love how the panko breadcrumbs get so crispy.


I made French bread too. When I set it on the table, I thought, I should have shaped it into heart - it's the only food without heart.



Then after slicing a piece and then cutting the piece in half, we noticed that could be made into a heart. Yea - a completely heart-y meal!


The hearty table...


For our treat I wanted to make strawberry sandwich cookies. I made heart shaped sugar cookies, and for the filling decided on Tofu Strawberry Cream from More Great Good Desserts. This cream is seriously the best thing I've eaten in quite some time. I don't know if I like the touch of lemon in it, or if I just got a great jar of "strawberry all fruit" but it is so so good. I have leftovers!


After I filled the cookies, I drizzled chocolate over them. Yummmmmmmy!



And that's our Valentine dinner.

21 comments:

bazu said...

Ok, that meal was too cute! How sweet that everything was shaped like a heart- even the bread! lol. You reminded me that I only have one day left to post something for Susan V's "veggie love" event- your meal is one of the better ones I've seen. I love panko breadcrumbs too.

n/a said...

That was so beautiful! You got really creative with everything you made and it all looks very tasty. :)

Twisted Cinderella said...

That looks beautiful and creative! I would love to have the recipe for your pasta dish. It looks heavenly!

Anonymous said...

I really love what you have done !
You are so creative !
And the bread ! LOL You are too cute !

Great inspiration, thank you !

Ruthie said...

This is by far the cutest meal I've ever seen!!! You are so adorable and your son is so lucky! :)

Anonymous said...

What a cute and inspirational meal. I wish my valentine liked to cook. A girl can dream, right?

Mikaela said...

How sweet! <3

Anonymous said...

Wow...where on earth did you find gluten free heart shaped pasta?

Loved the heart theme going on!!!

Kati said...

I love your dinner! I can definitely sense a theme going on here... ;) I had no idea they made heart shaped pasta, and the filling for those cookies looks delicious! I'll have to check out that book. Thanks for getting me in the Valentine's Day mood!

Dori said...

Absolute cuteness! This is the heartiest I have ever seen you blog about. That strawberry cream looks dreamy. Happy V-day to you too!

aTxVegn said...

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone. But I'm thinking now, and sometimes I forget my son is 20 years old and I cook like a total geek. What a cheezy-looking dinner!

TC - I think for the sauce I heated about 1-1/2 cups lowfat soymilk, added a cornstarch slurry, some nutritional yeast, and lots of Italian seasonings, then just cooked until it thickened.

GF Vegan - the pasta is NOT gluten free. I cook lots of stuff I don't ever eat.

Kati and Dori - I'm not kidding about the strawberry creme - it's fantastic!

Judy said...

Man, I am really starting to feel sorry for myself, looking at everyone else's Vday dinners, and knowing that mine will most definitely be eaten alone, and probably on the bus on the way to class. Boo.

Yours looks fantastic, and I wish I could be eating it too, especially the heart shaped cookies.

scottishvegan said...

Hi! Thanks for dropping by my blog! Your meal is so adorable. I especially love that you managed to make the bread in to a heart shape, even though you didn’t bake it that way! The cookies are really cute and look very professional!!

Emmy said...

That pasta is so cute and the dish you made with it sounds so yummy! That is just so adorable how you made everything heart-shaped :) And I'm eyeing those delicious looking cookies you made. They sound fab :)

Crystal said...

You are too cute! Keep the hearts coming :)

-Crystal

urban vegan said...

What a heart-y (yukyuk) meal. You're too cute.

Candi said...

Awww!! That is adorable! Britty will be expecting everything heart-shaped if I show her this post! What beautiful presentations on the food. You are so much fun!

The cookies looks so pretty!

laura k said...

Oh wow, the heart theme is too cute! I never get that creative on Valentine's day... I love the French bread--I just made a loaf for myself and it is delicious! And the strawberry cream sounds awesome--I would love to put some of that in my mouth! Happy V-day!

Anonymous said...

this is the best Valentine dinner in my opinion, what a great job.

a question: how did you turn your carrot in hearts?

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

i *heart* your meal -- it's the perfect valentine feast. it's awesome how you put so much care into it all.

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Just too sweet!
My kids would have loved it if I'd done something even slightly "heart-shaped"... bah...