Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Moussaka Dinner

Our Sunday dinner was at my mom’s again. Vcon Moussaka was the main attraction.



Lighting at mom’s is not so good, but here’s the best picture I could get of a slice.


It was very good and we all ate plenty, but if I had just remembered to add a pinch of sweetener to the tomato sauce, it would have been over the top perfection. It was so acidic with the tomatoes and wine, and it’s my own fault for not remembering – rats.

I also took along one of my favorite new recipes, an Urban Vegan tester for braised beans. I just changed up the spices to make it Greek style, and that’s all I can tell you!


Of course broccoli is always on the menu. This night it was steamed and dressed with a lemony garlicky vinaigrette. Here’s my plate.



For dessert I took a batch of one of our gang’s favorite cookies, Wheat Free Vegan Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies. It’s from Cookie Madness. This recipe makes only six cookies so I made a double batch. If you haven’t tried them yet, I don’t know what you’re waiting for!


I’ve really been digging the savory oatmeal, so much so that I made a pot of savory quinoa flakes. Someone asked for a recipe for the savory oats. For any kind of savory grains, just prepare them as usual, but instead of adding sweet stuff, mix in salt and pepper, garlic, veggies, soy sauce, tomato sauce, barbecue sauce – whatever strikes your fancy. You could also cook them in vegetable broth instead of water, just like you would do with rice. I have only used quinoa flakes in baking until this week. To cook them takes just 90 seconds, and the flakes have *tails* just like the grains!




I ate mine with broccoli and nooch. It’s so filling and so delicious.




Save room for a cookie!


28 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

MOUSSAKA!!! My favorite Greek dish :-)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

It was a bird! I loved that story!

Urban Vegan's tester recipes ALL look spectacular.

Lisa said...

oh, what a delicious looking spread of food!

MeloMeals said...

The moussaka looks amazing!

I am so intrigued by those cooking. You only use rice flour and oats? No GF mix with all the other flours? Hmmm.. I could grind the rice in my vitamix!

Catherine Weber said...

Those huge cloves of garlic in the braised beans sold me!

Vegan_Noodle said...

I can always save room for a cookie ;-)

I love love love the moussaka. It might be my favorite recipe from Vcon.

Someday I'm gonna crash one of your Sunday dinners...

Anonymous said...

That Moussaka recipe sure gets around! Everything looks delicious .. and who wouldn't save room for one of those cookies? Yum.

Anonymous said...

As always, you make me drool! Your meal looks lovely and those cookies- yum! I haven't tried those quinoa flakes, but add broccoli and nooch and I'm there!

Amy said...

There's ALWAYS room for cookies! Yum!

And I have to try that moussaka soon I think! Sorry about the sugar. I did that the other night with some tomato soup. I didn't think it was terrible but the UnVeg said it was like eating a bowl of tomato paste :(

Ooo savoury quinoa flakes! And how cute that they have tails! I have some but I've only ever used them instead of oats in cookies. I'll have to try boiling some up!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

moussaka - yum that looks great.

I went to Cyprus last year and have to admit the moussaka that my omni family kept ordering did look amazing!

Anonymous said...

I think the Vcon Moussaka is one of my favourite recipes ever. And all people I serve this to, rave about it.

You totally had me at savoury oatmeal. Must try this.

Virginia said...

the cookies look yummy but oddly enough, i am craving those beans!! they look awesome!

Chris said...

I like how the nuts and chocolate chips are jumping out of that cookie - they look uber tasty (and there's always room for a cookie!) :)

allularpunk said...

yum x 1000

Bianca said...

I often put broccoli and nooch in my grits, but I bet that would be awesome in quinoa too!

And great job plating that moussaka. When I made it and tried plating, it fell apart!

jessy said...

i've never heard of quinoa flakes - they're too cool! i think the moussaka looks awesome! sorry the sauce was a little acidic - it happens to me a lot, too. hooray for lots of bean & broccoli goodness! and those cookies?!?! mmmmmmmmmm!

Anonymous said...

Even the NAME of those cookies is a mouthful!! I really must try those savory oats--they sounds just wonderful!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

I've never had Moussaka. What is wrong with me? It looks amazing!

The cookies though are making my sweet tooth all excited!!

kmouse said...

Oh wow, the moussaka looks delicious! And the cookies, o god I want them!

Anonymous said...

That moussaka is one of my favourites! I should make it more...and I bought some broccoli - one of my favourite veggies - and totally thought of you yesterday, Diann!

Jackie said...

Love moussaka. As you say you need sweetener to take the acidity out of the tomatoes, I use sugar.

Quinoa flakes are wonderful. Only started using them lately and actually now prefer them to quinoa itself.

miss v said...

i've tried vegan moussaka before and didn't like it. it was sort of bland. but i'll have to give the v-con one a go.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I haven't made the Vcon moussaka yet. It looks really good.

I need to try those cookies too. I'm a sucker for peanut butter, and cookies, and peanut butter cookies :)

Emily said...

I'm really excited to try the wheat free vegan cookies! I've been looking for a recipe like this for a while now; thanks so much!

havfaith said...

Those cookies look amazing! If I wasn't in a hotel at the moment...

Erin said...

You're going crazy with the savory oatmeal! And the moussaka and cookies look amazing.

Rumela said...

I was made this moussaka recipe for dinner tonight, and it was delicious! I was a little nervous it wouldn't have enough depth of flavor, but it turned out scrumptious. even my meat-loving husband liked it. I'm trying to do several meatless meals a week both for our health and our budget, so I really appreciate easy, vegan savory oatmeal. thank you for shearing your post.