Monday, February 16, 2009

A Winner, and Broccoli of course!

The winner of a free Lexen Healthy Juicer is ….

True Random Number Generator
Min: 1
Max: 87
Result: 54

Congratulations to Mike @ TrialbyFood!!!

Mike, please email me at atxvegn AT yahoo DOT com and provide me with your name and delivery address. I will then notify Lexen and they will send you your FREE juicer!

For my contest, I asked you to proclaim your love of broccoli and you did! By the way, our winner, Mike, likes his broccoli raw or steamed. I am so pleased to know you share my broccoli passion, AND that most of you enjoy it just as I do, lightly steamed with a little salt and sometimes garlic and lemon. We also like it roasted, and with a nutty sauce or nooch. I am also very pleased to know that you enjoy your healthful side of broccoli at least once a week and many of you as often as I do – daily! I only got a couple of comments regarding broccoli stalk love. I actually enjoy the stalks as much as the trees. If you are trashing your stalks, try this: slice off the bottom and discard, then peel the tough outer layer with a paring knife. Now just chop it into small pieces and steam right along with the trees. The stalks are sweet and delicious and needn’t go to waste! I also buy packages of Mann’s Broccoli Slaw, made from the stalks, to use in salads and toss into stirfrys.

As I had hoped, I got some comments with new ideas for broccoli prep. Thankfully, we are all in agreement that broccoli has no place in baked goods, unless it’s baked into lasagna or pizza. However, I did get a sweet broccoli recipe from Chris, which I made and really enjoyed!

Broccoli with Walnuts and Maple Syrup


Thanks, Chris!

I recently added broccoli to hot cereal, but I must admit I’ve never eaten broccoli for breakfast. Okay, I never eat anything for breakfast. But one of Tofu Mom’s Sproutz does enjoy her broccoli for breakfast – on toast with peanut butter! She said *I love broccoli! One of my favorite breakfasts is steamed broccoli sprinkled with garlic powder and Braggs aminos piled high on toasted French Meadow Spelt or Kamut bread spread with a thin layer of organic peanut or almond butter. It's a recipe from Table for Two by Joanne Stepaniak.*

Thank you, Sprout! I bought a loaf of gluten free bread just so I can try this recipe next.

Thanks for playing along everyone, and congratulations again to Mike!

12 comments:

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Congrats Mike! Enjoy your new juicer!

Broccoli for breakfast? On toast with peanut butter? That is so unique!

Anonymous said...

Now I feel challenged to bake with broccoli! Yours looks delicious! I love, love, love broccoli, just finished some in fact.

Anonymous said...

We just love broccoli here, but I must admit I've never thought of having it for breakfast unless it was in a tofu quiche or something. Hummm...
Congrats to Mike!

Virginia said...

yay broccoli! i have never had it for breakfast but it sounds like a healthy way to start the day!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Congratulations to the winner!!


LOVE BROCCOLI!!!!!!!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Broccoli for breakfast?!? Wow, now that's some love. I've actually learned to enjoy the stalk, until recently, it just got thrown out.

Yay for Mike!

allularpunk said...

congrats to the winner! and mmm broccoli... i dunno about it with peanut butter, but i guess you never know.

Bianca said...

Um, I dunno about broccoli with PB, but the maple stuff looks good! I honestly don't eat enough broccoli even though I love it.

Andrea said...

Miso soup with broccoli makes a good breakfast. I used to make p-butter and broccoli sandwiches for my son when he ws very young, though I never ate one myself! I love broccoli stalks peeled and julienned and steamed. Yum.

Jodi Anderson said...

Mmm, my new favorite way to have broccoli is with a dash of soy and fried garlic.

See photo here: http://sonotcool.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/02/vegan-cookbook-recipes-one.html

I can't wait to try some of these other ideas.

Mike @ TrialbyFood said...

Diann, I emailed you my address. Everyone else, thanks for the congrats, I'll be letting Diann know when I get it and come up with some recipes for my own blog using it :)

Erin said...

Congrats to the winner! I am way behind on blog reading and totally missed the contest :(

I wanted to make broccoli slaw about a month ago for a get together, and I could NOT find it anywhere out here so I had to settle for coleslaw. That is the 2nd negative part of living in CA I've found so far, the other being that I can't easily find Quaker instant grits.