Saturday, June 13, 2009

Banana Oat Bars – Sweet Freedom Saturday

This week’s edition of Sweet Freedom Saturday features the most excellent gluten free, soy free Banana Oat Bars. Ricki describes them as a cross between a cookie and a granola bar.




As you can see, I added chocolate to this recipe. I just can’t help myself.

I didn’t eat all of them myself this time, but I do have another confession to make. I completely forgot to include the sugar in the batter! Of course I didn’t realize my mistake until the batter was all spread in the pan and I was just about to pop them in the oven. I decided to sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of sucanat on top. Thankfully, the batter recipe is very forgiving because the bars were a perfect granola cookie, and the caramelized sugary topping turned out to be all the sweetness we needed. I love that bananas can be your sugar.


I will try very hard to prepare next week’s recipe correctly, but I can’t promise I won’t eat them all. Sweet Freedom recipes are the best!

5 comments:

nora said...

That's awesome that the bananas were enough. Nature is wonderful. :)

Ricki said...

How great that it worked out without the Sucanat! I love that bananas can be my sugar, too. Now I know how I'll be making this next time I bake it up. . . :)

Anonymous said...

I really want to make these, too! I marked so many recipes in my SF book - it's just crazy!

jessy said...

gluten-free & soy free - sign me up! i'll tell ya, Diann - since starting the Adventure Challenge Tune-Up i've felt so awesome - i think it has some part to do with taking the gluten out of my diet. i really think i may be better off without the gluten - i feel so great without it!

oh my, your banana oat bars look so perfect! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Andrea said...

Catching up on blog posts before breakfast is probably not the best idea! Now all I want for breakfast is cookies and bars. These look delicious and I like the fact that you left out the sugar and they were still sweet enough. I'll have to remember this when I finally get a copy of this book.