Monday, June 08, 2009

Vegan Brunch

I have just a quick post of a couple more recipes I’ve tried from Vegan Brunch. My ‘Horns are playing and if they win they go to the College World Series!

I made the Curry Cauliflower Frittata for Chase, using some beautiful orange cauliflower from the farmers market that I roasted.


It smelled wonderful as it baked. Here it is out of the oven.


I don’t have a picture of a slice, because it didn’t hold together. Chase didn’t care. He said he would just call it a scramble and enjoy it that way. I’ve noticed several other posts where these frittatas haven’t held together. When I made it, I thought it seemed dry and there was no liquid or binder at all in any of the frittata recipes. Maybe my tofu was squeezed too dry. Have you run into this problem? Or are you adding some liquid to your mixture? I would love to make another one for Chase, but I want it to turn out right.


The other brunch item I made was the Potato Spinach Squares. I added some onion and sundried tomatoes to my batch. This baked up beautifully.


These squares got RAVE reviews and I thought they were super delicious.



Isn’t it pretty?

I’ll be around to visit after the game! Hook’em ‘Horns!

23 comments:

Andrea said...

Those all look good, especially the spinach squares. My son made a "Vegan Brunch" tofu scramble today and after we ate it he said, "shouldn't you have taken a picture?"

Oraphan said...

YES!!! Your spinach squares look so pretty and delicious. I love the way you photographed that piece. It looks so PERFECT! Your son is so lucky. And your Frittata looks wonderful. =D

Unknown said...

Beautiful potato and spinach squares - by the way, I made the breakfast bean cake - beyootiful!

VeganCowGirl said...

OMgosh - those squares look divine!

Lisa said...

Mmmm, I've got to try those squares too!

Mihl said...

I added those squares to my list! I can't wait for my copy to arrive.

Sorry to hear about the frittata. Maybe you should aske the PPK?

Jes said...

mmm curried cauliflower! I can't wait for my copy to get here :)

Anonymous said...

mmm those potato spinach squares of yours look great!

Gina said...

Wow, those squares certainly look super delicious!!!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Did the Longhorns win? Go Texas!

Wow, how did I not notice that recipe for the potato spinach squares?!? Yum!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie said...

Vegan brunch pics everywhere! I can't wait to get this book :)

allularpunk said...

i really, truly need to buy this book. sometime. everyone's food from it (including yours of course!) looks fabulous!

Bianca said...

I haven't tried either of those yet, but both sound yummy! I'd consult the PPK about the fritatta. In related news, I heard Isa being interviewed on Martha Stewart Radio on Sirius this morning!

jessy said...

your frittata looks excellent, and those potatoes spinach squares = most yummy! i love that you added onion and sun-drieds to it! yay! i need to buy a copy of Vegan Brunch so i can start enjoying all the awesomenesses! mmmmmmmmm!

aTxVegn said...

Thanks for the tips to visit the ppk - will do.

My Longhorns won! First game of the World Series is Sunday night. I think some game watching food will be in order!

Erin said...

I need those spinach squares! I guess first I need to buy the book...

Anonymous said...

Those squares look amazing! My copy is being brought over by a friend in the next week or so - can't wait!

Kati said...

Wow, it's like a bunch of us got together and decided to blog about vegan brunch on Monday...and yet it was totally a coincidence! I can't wait to try more recipes from this book.

miss v said...

i think everyone loves that book (sadly, i don't have it yet).

that cauli frittata looks AWESOME!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Note to self: must make potato spinach squares.

urban vegan said...

I just got the book and can't wait to try some pf these recipes.

Meghan said...

mmmm....spinach potato squares look so tasty! i always love how often you use cauliflower. i really like it, although only buy it occasionally. i think it's seriously underrated!

Anonymous said...

Too bad the frittata didn't stay together, I bet it still tasted good though. The potato squares look delicious, they are next on my list to try!