Sunday, June 14, 2009

Daring Bakers Challenge – Chinese Dumplings



I was nervous about this month’s dumpling challenge as I have never been successful at making filled pockets of dough. I just can’t seem to crimp properly and always end up losing most of filling. But the recipe provided by our hostess, Jen from use real butter, was a winner!

The dough recipe is naturally vegan, and a vegan filling was easy to come up with. Mine was all veggie, mostly Napa cabbage, with onions, peppers, and water chestnuts.


I am sorry there are not more pictures of my dumpling-making but I was by myself and my hands were doughy and I needed to work quickly. The hardest part for me was rolling the dough into actual circles. I have terrible trouble with pie crusts too. Surprisingly, I found the pleating to be quite easy. I had every intention of becoming bored after making only a dozen, but it was so much fun that I amazed myself and quickly made the whole batch. I got 25 adorable dumplings.


I put them all in the freezer even though it was for just a few hours. It just seemed like the right thing to do. It’s already 100 degrees here and I figured the dough would be happier all nice and cold.



I only took out six of them to steam because I wasn’t expecting Chase to show up for dinner. Well, at first I was expecting him, then I wasn’t – and you know how that’s been going. I’m starting to think that if I plan on him NOT showing up, he WILL show up, and that’s the way to get my Sunday dinners back! Chase did come for dinner, so the six dumplings went into the steamer basket lined with cabbage leaves.




After about 7 minutes, they were perfect! I served them with a simple dipping sauce.


Such delicious little treats!




Along with the dumplings, we also had cilantro rice.



And Asian baked tofu.


And a bean sprout and very veggie stirfry.



I no longer fear the dumpling. This successful challenge has inspired me to give hand pies and empanadas another try. I truly enjoy these Daring Kitchen challenges. Even though I’ve been cooking and baking well over 20 years, there is always something new and fun to try. You are always welcome to join us!

23 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

You've done a really wonderful job with this challenge. Your dumplings and you photos are beautiful. Have a great day.

Jes said...

Beautiful dumplings! I'm a potsticker fan myself, but I really should try steaming them one of these days.

Tami said...

That looks like an awesome dinner. I love the photo of the dumplings all lined up.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're no longer fearing the dumpling, Diann! They look just beautiful. I loved this challenge - very fun.

VeganView said...

OMG you have such talent ! Those dumplings look amazing, what a great asian inspired feast!

Oraphan said...

Wow! Very impressive post!!! Your dumplings look perfect. So wonderful that your son came for an amazing dinner. Yay!!!

Jen Yu said...

Are you kidding me? You mean to tell me that you made those beautiful dumplings with those perfect pleats and yet you don't do pie crusts and all other manner of pastry? I can't believe it... because honey, YOUR pleats look FANTASTIC. I am really impressed with how beautiful they are and I am doubly happy that you have overcome your fear of working with dough. Yay for you!! Great job :)

Andrea said...

Homemade dumplings are so delicious and chewy and yours are so perfect looking it's hard to believe you ever had a problem rolling them out.

Anonymous said...

oh, my gosh. Those dumplings look fantastic. I found a neat little place that teaches techniques in Chinese cooking and food ideas. It is at http://www.wokfusion.com/blog. Enjoy. Deena.

VeganCowGirl said...

Your dumplings seriously look amazing! Good for you - I have always failed terribly trying to make potstickers - and you rock!!!

Good idea throwing them in the freezer. Love the rest of the meal - super asian numminess!

jessy said...

glad Chase made it for dinner, Diann! your dumplings look perfect - they're so beautiful! asian tofu, the cilantro rice, and that stir-fry (i love the bean sprouts) - it all looks so delicious! you've got the tastiest eats and i love them all!

Gina said...

Wow, those definitely do look perfect!! I am so impressed!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and delicious dumplings. You did a great job!

Bianca said...

Those are the cutest little dumplings I've ever seen!!! I've never made steamed dumplings, but now I want to! I love making homemade ravioli and I bet the process is similar (except for the steaming instead of boiling).

Anonymous said...

You are a true dumpling artist. I love all of the food pairings you chose with the meal. Cilantro rice and baked tofu. MMMmmm.

Great job on the photos!

Amy said...

Mmmm those dumplings look fantastic! I'm in the "afraid of dumplings" group of people. I always have trouble with dough and I too generally get bored making any kind of dough package, but you've made them sound much easier and more fun that I anticipated so maybe I'll have to give them a try soon! (Plus....did I mention they look yum yet?!?!)

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

"I no longer fear the dumplings" :DD
call me easily amused, but that's amusing!

dumplings are so amazing, yours look perfect, and I wish I could try yours with the water chestnuts!

Carrie™ said...

Wow! Very impressive. I've never tried to make chinese dumplings. You make it sound easy. The rest of your dinner looked delicious as well.

jd said...

Those dumplings sound - and look - really good!

My bf is a big fan of Chinese food in general - and dumplings in particular - so I'm definitely gonna have to try to replicate these...

Thanks!

Judy said...

Hey, I just remembered that I bought one of those steamer baskets a while back, and tucked it away somewhere. Perhaps it's time to get it out and make these!

Hannah said...

Oh, I just adore gyoza! Yours look spot-on perfect, and so enticing. I may just have to take this challenge myself, Daring Cook or not!

miss v said...

that stuffing looks delicious! i can imagine several other ways to use it...

what kind of 'dressing' did you used on the veggie mix? it looks slightly creamy.

Adriana said...

OMG... those look a-m-a-z-i-n-g!