Thursday, October 02, 2008

VeganMoFo - Pierogies and Cabbage


I made this recipe for dinner and took to my mom’s to share, because my mom had never had pierogies before! I used store bought potato onion pierogies, briefly boiled then finished in the skillet, and served them over this tasty cabbage:

Cabbage and Onions with Bacon

Ingredients:
1 large purple onion, sliced thin
1 t. olive oil
1 small head purple cabbage, sliced thin
1 heaping tablespoon bac’n bits
2 T. balsamic vinegar
2 T. cider vinegar

Directions:
Saute the onion until soft and lightly browned. Stir in cabbage; cover and let cook over medium heat about 10 minutes, stirring once or twice. Uncover and stir in the vinegars. Add salt and pepper to taste.



As Mom likes to say, “Good and good for you!”

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful presentation!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

OH MY GOODNESS I haven't eaten pierogis since before I became a vegan - I miss them!! Those look scrumptious.

Bex said...

I made pierogis a little while back, they are dangerous. I should try this mix.

Anonymous said...

I think I must find a way to make spelt pierogies. . . these really made me crave them!

Sheree' said...

I have never had a pierogie. Your plate is beautiful. Where would you find the mix in the store? They look and sound fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Pierogies are one of my very favorite foods, ever! I haven't had them in so long, because I would need to make them from scratch...hey, I need to do that!

Catherine Weber said...

What a pretty meal! You don't see much purple food out there . . . gorgeous!

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

I could kiss you!

My Mom is a 1st generation American so her parents (Her Father was from Italy, her mother from Poland) raised her on traditional cultural foods... which she then raised us eating! I have't had pierogies since my very early childhood! I'm beyond stoked to make the vegan version! XOXO

jessy said...

ohhhhhh! i love, love, LOVE pierogies. mmmmmmmm! how awesome to introduce your mom to them (my mom's polish and she makes them quite often. yay!)- and the cabbage - WOW! i looooove me some cabbage!

hooray for more VeganMofo!

Bethany said...

that is a really nice pic. those pierogies are scarily perfect w/ those fort marks. I've never had store bought ones look that good.

Andrea said...

This is a beautiful picture of a very attractive meal. But how did you keep the purple cabbage looking so...purple? Mine always gets weird.