Thursday, October 16, 2008

VeganMoFo – Pumpkin, Millet, and Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins

I made mini muffins to take to an office breakfast potluck today. I used a recipe that I posted about a year ago, and thankfully, the muffins were a big hit. Many people went out of their way to compliment them, one person thought they looked too perfect to be homemade, and three people asked for the recipe. One lady that asked for the recipe also asked me about my diet, which I happily explained. I even offered to prepare any vegan recipe she would like to try but was afraid to attempt to cook.


The original recipe makes 12 regular size muffins. I made 3 dozen minis and added a powdered sugar glaze and used Enjoy Life mini chips for the office.



Pumpkin Millet, and Chocolate Chip Muffins

(not gluten free)

The toasted millet adds a nutty yet fat free crunch, like candy sprinkles.


Ingredients:

½ cup millet
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. ground cloves
1 cup sour milk
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup sucanat
1 t. vanilla
½ cup chocolate chips

Directions:
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line or spray a 12-cup muffin pan.

Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add millet and toast, stirring occasionally, until millet is golden brown and begins to pop, about 3 minutes. (The millet will not pop out of the skillet like other grains or seeds tend to do.) Remove from heat and let cool.

Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices in a medium bowl. Combine the rest of the ingredients, except chocolate chips, in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Add millet to the flour mixture, then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.

Fill muffin cups and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes in the pan, then remove to a rack to cool completely.

(Mini muffins bake for about 14 minutes.)

19 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Perfect potluck (or anytime) treat!! :0)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this combination! I think they'd be just perfect. And you're so nice to offer to whip up a vegan recipe for your coworker!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

OMG!! They look so good and petite! I love mini muffins!

Sheree' said...

I love millet in my baked goods and these look perfect! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

Way to go on sharing your vegan lifestyle and offering to cook!

Catherine Weber said...

Oooh . . . these sound SO fantastic! I hope I have some millet in my cupboard, because I think I need to make these this weekend!

Catherine Weber said...

one more thing -- could I use natural granulated sugar in place of the sucanat? (I don't know about sweetness equivalencies -- I'm not familiar with sucanat.)

Anonymous said...

These sound great, Diann! Thank you for sharing the recipe - I love using millet, but have limited millet recipes!

Jen Treehugger said...

Mmmm they do look yummy.
one million zillion points to the vegan!

A.M. said...

Nice vegan outreach! They look so cute btw.

Lo said...

I love the millet concept. These look like the perfect seasonal treat.

allularpunk said...

oh wow! those look perfect! at first i thought the pumpkin, millet and chocolate chip muffins were 3 separate items because there was no way 3 such awesome things could be combined into one TOTALLY AWESOME dish! i was wrong. you are my hero.

jessy said...

your muffins might possible be the best muffins ever! oh my gosh - they're so cute and absolutely AMAZING sounding. thanks for the recipe! and the millet for crunch = brilliant!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Ooh yummy mini muffins! I love how the mini size means you can have more!

I've never tried jicama in anything other than salads... now you have my interest piqued to try a stir fry!

P.S. Did I ever tell you that I tried the kohlrabi after seeing your rave review of it? Now I looove it too!

Bex said...

That's so nice of you to offer to cook for your coworker. You are a great veggie spokesperson.
Those muffins are way too cute and yummy looking.

Erin said...

They look wonderful! I've been looking for ways to eat more milet, I love the idea of millet "sprinkles".

dreaminitvegan said...

I just stumbled upon your blog. Great idea to use millet. I love to have a crunch sometimes in sweets.

Anonymous said...

I want not agree on it. I assume polite post. Expressly the designation attracted me to review the unscathed story.

Anonymous said...

Good post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://kfarbair.com][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/logo.png[/img][/url]

בית מלון [url=http://www.kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] - שלווה, [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/about.html]חדרים[/url] מרווחים, אינטימיות, [url=http://kfarbair.com/services.html]שקט[/url] . אנחנו מספקים שירותי אירוח מיוחדים גם יש במקום שירות חדרים המכיל [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/eng/index.html]סעודות רומנטיות[/url] במחירים מפתיעים אשר יוגשו ישירות לחדרכם.

לפרטים נא לפנות לאתרנו - [url=http://kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/contact.html][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/apixel.gif[/img][/url]