Sunday, October 26, 2008

VeganMoFo – OMG Snickerdoodle Pie!

This was the most pie fun I’ve ever had! I baked a giant snickerdoodle cookie you eat warm, all sugary and cinnamony. It’s not healthy, it’s not gluten free, but it is vegan and incredibly delicious. There’s gooey cinnamon covering the crust, then super soft white cake, then crispy gooey cinnamon on top. I only wish I had thought it up myself.




I veganized this recipe. Here’s the vegan version.

Snickerdoodle Pie

Ingredients:
1 recipe for 9-inch pie crust*
2 t. melted margarine
1 T. raw or coarse sugar
½ t. cinnamon

¼ cup margarine
½ cup brown sugar, packed
3 T. water
2 T. light corn syrup
½ t. cinnamon
1 t. vanilla

¼ cup softened margarine
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup powdered sugar
1t. baking powder
½ t. salt
¼ t. cream of tartar
1 energ egg replacer
1 t. vanilla
½ cup nondairy milk
1-1/4 cups AP flour

* I used the pie crust recipe from Sinfully Vegan and I do not recommend it. It’s oil based and this pie needs a margarine crust. Also, this crust wasn’t sturdy enough. It kept sliding down the rim.

Directions:
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your pastry and put into a 9-inch pie plate. Brush with melted margarine.

Mix together the raw sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon over the pie crust.

Make a syrup by combining the ¼ cup margarine, brown sugar, water, corn syrup, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon in a small sauce pan. Stir and bring to a boil, then boil gently for 2 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Set aside.

In your mixer, beat the softened margarine for a minute, until creamy. Stir in both sugars, baking powder, salt, and cream of tartar. Mix until well combined. Stir in egg replacer and vanilla. Slowly mix in milk, then flour. Spread evenly over crust.



Carefully pour syrup over batter, then sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar mixture.


Cover edges of crust with foil.

Owning a pie shield makes me a complete baking geek, doesn’t it?


Bake 25 minutes, then carefully remove the foil. Bake 15 – 20 minutes more or until top is puffed and browned and a tester comes out clean. Cool 30 minutes. Serve warm.

It looks kind of funny when it comes out of the oven, but it smells divine.




Better go make it now, then have yourself a nice warm slice.


28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds amazing!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

OH. MY. GOODNESS. GRACIOUS.

**faints of a sugar-induced coma**

Amey said...

Holy Batman, that looks totally gorgeously delicious! I wish I could beam over and steal a piece of your counter top. Mmmmmm.

By the way, I have two pie crust shields, and I used them every time. They really help!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

I need a piece of that pie! Well, I need the whole pie actually! :P
Thanks for the recipe!

jessy said...

oh my goodness, that's gotta be the most super stellar pie EVER! cinnamony sugary goodness, indeed! sweet AWESOMENESS! yay!

Vegan_Noodle said...

OMH is right!! That looks amazing.. I can only imagine how wonderful it smelled and tasted!

Kati said...

Wow - look at that gorgeous sugary cinnamon brown top! Cookie in pie form, what could be better?

sarchan said...

Whoa.

funwithyourfood said...

This is ridiculous! in a great way... so i think i'm taking some baking recipes from one of the old bakers who worked at dabha joy/classmate... i'm pretty excited for it... :)

I'm hoping to develop more recipes for ppl to test...

teddy

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous idea! My mom used to make a pie called "Chocolate Cake Pie" or "Chocolate Cookie Pie" or something--similar idea, with basically a cake baked inside a pie shell. Yummmmmmmm. And I LOVE that crust shield--I think I need to get one now! ;)

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Hallelujah, holla back!

Bex said...

this looks so wrong but oh so right!

Anonymous said...

Snicks are one of my favorite cookies, so this pie would likely be one of my favorite pies, right?!!!!

A.M. said...

O. My. Gosh. That looks amaaazing!

Anonymous said...

I feel I've said what follows to almost everyone in the blog-o-sphere, but I'm not sure I've asked you yet: will you marry me? if yes, be sure to bring the pie. if not, be sure to bring the pie anyway.

Jen Treehugger said...

This is just AWESOME!!
What a FANTASTIC recipe!
You've just blown me away!

Anonymous said...

I'm swooning from sugar over-load just looking at it! Wow! That's amazing!

Susan G said...

That looks so amazing! Can't wait to make it - thanks for the recipe!

allularpunk said...

this does look super yummy! but...isn't it...a cake? on a pie crust? or am i being too technical here and should just shut up and make myself some damned snickerdoodle pie already?

aTxVegn said...

Allularpunk - it IS cake in a pie crust, but it holds the goo together. It's okay to be technical. Think of it like fudge pie or brownie pie. How do you feel about Boston Cream Pie? ;)

Meghan said...

i LOVE a snickerdoodle...so I imagine this creation is beyond words!

Awesome.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Oh wow! I can't even think of the words to say how good that looks!

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

WOWOWOWOWOWOW!

allularpunk said...

don't even get me started on boston creme pie!

Virginia said...

snickerdoodles are one of my fave cookies! i bet this pie is so so delicious!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Dang! I love pies that are made from other desserts. It looks like it could almost be a bread pudding kind of thing but even better because it's go the snickerdoodle action going on.

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

WOW, that looks amazing!!

Destiny's Kitchen said...

That's so awesome! It would be a perfect "birthday cake" for my snickerdoodle-loving friend!