Monday, October 27, 2008

VeganMoFo – Monster Burger


Okay, it’s lame, but Monster Burger is all I came up with for my Halloween dinner. Chase’s band has a gig Halloween night and he’s been rehearsing and hasn’t been over to eat in a while. Anyway, no gross foods for me, but I do like fun and tasty food.

Here’s a burger tutorial for you.

The perfect burger must start with a great bun. Celine has great buns. (Sorry, I couldn’t resist, Celine.) Great Halloween buns are Pumpkin Buns! I have made this recipe in loaf form a couple of times and it is, as Celine said, the best sandwich bread ever. The bun version is just as good. Her recipe makes six huge buns. I topped them with black sesame seeds so they could be Halloweeny.



Great Halloween burger patties are Black Bean Burgers! I’ve used this recipe many many times, via Kate, via Sheree. (To make them gluten free, substitute a gf flour for the wheat germ.)



A great burger should also be grilled, but I didn’t think of it until it was already dark. These burgers will hold up for grilling.

Did you know mustard should only go on the bottom bun (or slice of bread for a sandwich)? Why? Because it’s too spicy for the roof of your mouth. Save the top of your sandwich for mayo and/or ketchup. I build my burger like this: mustard, crisp lettuce, burger (to hold down the lettuce), chopped tomato (so you don’t pull the whole slice off), one large and one small ring of onion, and ketchup (never was a mayo girl). Here is my Halloween orange and black Monster Burger.


My perfect Monster Burger.

As I am stretching my posts to last through this final week of MoFo, tomorrow I will post my recipe for the side dish I had with my burger. It’s not fries.

PS – My mom loves the Delicata Squash Bisque.

PSS - I took the Snickerdoodle Pie to the office today where it was devoured. The whole building had the most wonderful aroma of cinnamon all day long.

23 comments:

Kristen's Raw said...

HAHA! Great post :)

Anonymous said...

Love the color of those buns! And I didn't know that about the mustard--must remember next time!

Anonymous said...

my buns thank you, and are eager to do the monster mash with your burgers.
ok, that sounds wrong in every possible way.

Catherine Weber said...

I love that your monster burger even kind of looks like a giant mouth opening up to gobble something up!

Pumpkin buns . . . must try these!!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Freaking awesome!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy your blog, Diann. A question: Have you posted the recipe for the chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting you mentioned a while back? It sounds yummy!

Thanks--Tam

Jen Treehugger said...

Your Monster Burgers are awesome!!
I LOVE Black Beans probably more than any other Bean - they are sooo good!

Amy said...

Mmm I want your pumpkin buns! (Are they wheatful or gluten free ones?) and that snickerdoodle pie?!?! HOW did I miss that post yesterday?

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Not lame at all!! Looks delish!!

Anonymous said...

Hi. I've tried that black bean burger recipe and it is very good.

Thanks for all your salad tips. I put it into practice last night and have a few salads ready to go. On Sunday I'll make a batch of beans (this time I used sunflower seeds as my topper) so I can add those to the salads. It's nice to know I don't have to rush around this morning getting my lunch ready.

Have a great day!

aTxVegn said...

Tam, thanks for your comment! Here's the link to my post about the cake, with a link to the recipe:
http://eatnvegn.blogspot.com/2008/07/happy-birthday-to-me.html

Edie, glad the salad tips helped!

- Diann

Judy said...

Oh, what a fabulous looking burger. And snickerdoodle pie? Genius!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

That HAS to be the best burger ever created! It's awesomely Halloweeny with the orange buns and the black bean patties! YAY!!

jessy said...

pumpkin buns & blackbeans burgers sounds like such a tasty, tasty combination of deliciousness, indeeds! that's cool that Chase has a show on halloween! how fun! whenever dan's band has a show coming up it's pretty much band practice just about every day. **sigh** but it's all good!

i wish i was in your office to help devour the snickerdoodle pie. mmmmmmmmmmmm!

Anonymous said...

No matter what I say it's gonna sound dirty, but I would like to try Celine's recipe. And now I'l so craving burgers!!

allularpunk said...

cool idea! and mustard...too spicy? what! i slather mustard all OVER my burgers (and sammiches), roof of my mouth be damned!

and yeah, mayo always has been gross. vegan mayo's no better for me, unfortunately. your burger looks totally rad.

Virginia said...

wow, great tip about the mustard! i never thought of that one! now i will think of that every time i am putting in on a sandwich! thanks!

urban vegan said...

I want to devoir this monster! Great tutorial--and yes, Celine does have great buns.

Then again, all vegans do, no? ;)

Anonymous said...

Great ideas! I love the buns especially, and I think I may even make them this weekend. Celine is brilliant!

Sheree' said...

I just love these burgers. Thanks for the sweet link. I saw those buns and thought perfect!

A.M. said...

Your monster burgers even look like little monsters... I like the orange hue the buns have.

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Ooh, pumpkin buns! What a great idea! Thanks for the burger stacking tutorial; I had no clue that there was a proper order. :)

Anonymous said...

That is a truly awesome looking burger. For any holiday!