Sunday, October 12, 2008

VeganMoFo – Pear Nut Challenge


This weekend’s MoFo Iron Chef challenge was to create a recipe using pears and nuts. This was a no-brainer for a salad lover like me. I hope you don’t mind another salad recipe.

Mixed Greens Salad with Cinnamon Spiced Pears and Pecans

To make the spiced pears and pecans, put 1 cup water, ¼ cup sucanat, and 2 teaspoons cinnamon into a small pot. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer about 5 minutes, until thickened and syrupy. While the syrup is simmering, slice one pear thinly and put into a small glass casserole. Add in some pecan halves. (I estimated one pear and about 15 pecan halves for 4 people.) When syrup is ready, pour over pears and pecans and refrigerate for about an hour or until chilled.



When ready to serve, plate some greens, add the pears and pecans, and use the extra syrup for dressing.


Easy, elegant, delicious.

19 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Easy, elegant, delicious.... PERFECT.

Sheree' said...

It is a perfect salad. I don't think I will try this with canned pears though I will just have to wait until the grocery store and I have a date. :o)

Anonymous said...

That does look like a lovely salad. I rarely eat fresh pears (usually bake with 'em) but this looks worth trying.

Andrea said...

This looks so good — easy, too. We have a ton of pears from our CSA as well as salad greens. Will try this tomorrow. I bet a little crystallized ginger would go well with this.

Anonymous said...

Super elegant! I love fruit in salad. Well done :]

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

What a beautiful salad! Your use of the pears and nuts is so creative! YAY!!

Destiny's Kitchen said...

Oh my gosh, yum! I bet that would be good over a baked sweet potato as well.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That is making my mouth water!

Anonymous said...

That's a fabulous challenge and I really like what you came up with! Thank you for sharing this.

Jen Treehugger said...

What a fantastic way to use those ingredients. That looks so delicious!
Well done.

VeganCowGirl said...

Oh my! Pears are just so wonderfully tasty. Thanks for a great couple of photos. Yum Yum.

Anonymous said...

Such a classy salad! Could we ever get tired of your salads? I'm thinking NO!

allularpunk said...

i agree with shelly - very classy! and creative. mmm..pears.

jessy said...

of course i don't mind another salad post! i loooooooove salads - and this one is no exception - it looks AMAZING! mmmmmmmmmm!

Usha said...

What a wonderfully simple and creative recipe,I absolutely love this...there is an award waiting for you at my blog,please check it out :-)

A.M. said...

I don't know why, but I don't like my sweets (fruits) in one bowl with savory stuff (veggies), but this looks appetizing even to me!

Anonymous said...

that salad looks so elegant. i'd probably end up eating the pears and pecans out of the pan haha i'm definitely a "sweets" person.

Meg Wolff said...

Easy, elegant, delicious ... 3 beautiful words. Your salad looks wonderful.

anudivya said...

That looks awesome! I just threw out a couple of over ripe pears today out of frustration, I wish I had known how to make this.