Saturday, October 11, 2008

VeganMoFo – Game Day!

Fortunately this post is fun to write since my ‘Horns knocked off the No. 1 team today! I brought a few snacks for our small watch party.

My Black Bean Salad is always requested and as many times as I’ve posted pictures of it, I’ve never written out the recipe. It’s always a hit. Fresh tomatoes and a good avocado are a must. I vary it occasionally, but here’s the basic recipe.

Black Bean Salad
Serves 6

Ingredients:
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen corn
4 green onions, sliced thin, white and green parts
1 fresh jalapeno, minced
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
1 large fresh tomato, diced
1 avocado, diced
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice of 2 key limes or 1 medium lime
1 t. agave nectar
2 T. Italian style salad dressing
1 clove garlic, crushed
¼ t. spicy seasoning blend (I use McCormick’s Spicy Montreal; you could sub red chili flakes)
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
Mix everything in a large bowl. Chill until ready to serve, at least one hour. Serve as a salad, as a salad topper, or with tortilla chips.


I made another test recipe for Ricki. This is her delicious Breakfast Loaf that I sliced very thinly and cut into a Longhorn shape to give to my mom. It was for good luck and it worked!

13 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Hooray for a great game score, black bean salad, and a CUTE breakfast loaf slice!!

Anonymous said...

Glad your team won--and the salad does look great! That breakfast loaf is hilarious--you are so artistic ;) !

allularpunk said...

haha..i love your longhorn loaf. and thanks for the bean salad recipe, it looks delicious!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

What a colorful and delicious looking salad! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Your Longhorn shaped breakfast loaf is awesome!

miss v said...

i've made the black beanlot (minus the agave and dressing) and it always goes to so fast at potlucks/parties.

jessy said...

i would request your black bean salad EVERY DAY! it looks sooooooo awesome! and the breakfast loaf = glorious! yay!

Anonymous said...

Black bean salad is the best ever! And yippie for Ricki's Breakfast Loaf! You're such an artist!

Judy's Nutrition said...

Oh I am such a girl - I thought that longhorn shaped breakfast loaf was supposed to look like a thong!

Jen Treehugger said...

That salad looks divine and incorporates three of my favourite things!
:)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Hahaha my UT friends (I've got about a billion of 'em!) would love that!

Amey said...

:) I love your longhorn loaf! hee hee.

Also, the bean salad sounds wonderful... i love food like that. :)

It's so fun when your team wins, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

No! Aggies rule! Haha...

Cute breakfast loaf, and your salad looks so fresh and delicious!

Anonymous said...

I made the bean salad this week and it was simple and tasty--my favorite combination. Avocados abound here, luckily. Thanks for the inspiration.