Sunday, October 05, 2008

VeganMoFo – Apple Ginger Challenge

There is an Iron Chef type challenge on the ppk and this weekend the challenge is Apple and Ginger. My recipe is fitting because (1) I got the idea from Food Network and (2) it’s quick and easy.


I used fresh ginger and and a Gingergold apple to make Gingered Jezebel Sauce. Jezebel Sauce is spicy and sweet and delicious. It’s traditionally served with crackers, but it would be terrific stirred into steamed kale, or as a condiment with baked tofu, burgers, or Sheree’s Sauerkraut Balls.


Gingered Jezebel Sauce

Makes about 1-1/2 cups

2 T. dry mustard
2 T. prepared horseradish
1/3 cup apple jelly
½ cup apricot preserves
1 T. minced fresh ginger
1 t. black pepper
1/3 cup minced fresh apple (I used Gingergold!)

Mix together in a medium bowl the mustard and horseradish. Add the jelly and preserves and stir until well combined. Stir in the ginger, pepper, and apple. Chill until ready to serve.


Even though I made this last week, I have to put my Apple Tart with Chocolate Ginger Crust into this challenge.


I love apple season!

12 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I LOVE "Iron Chef," so of course the challenge sounds fun. That Gingered Jezebel Sauce and the Apple Tart look FABULOUS!!

Bex said...

that looks great and so do your photos

Anonymous said...

Both look fabulous! I am usually pretty lazy about sauces (unless they're already part of some dish), but this one looks too enticing. Love the steamed kale idea. :)

Anonymous said...

That sounds so delicious! Great entry- I really want to try it!

Unknown said...

Yum! Chocolate, ginger and apple!

Sheree' said...

Iron Chef is one of our favorite shows. I saw the challenge and even went on Food Network, printed a recipe for Asian Apple Ginger Slaw, but the day got away from me. Thanks for shout out for the sauerkraut balls. :o)

Your sauce looks yummy and your tart definatly belongs in the spot light!

Anonymous said...

Looks really good!! I love these iron chef challenges!

Anonymous said...

Your sauce looks great but I'm more a tart person. That tart looks quite yummy.

jessy said...

your Gingered Jezebel Sauce looks awesome! i think i would really enjoy it! mmmmmmmmmmm! hooray for a fun challenge - and hooray for posting your tart again - it's so pretty! i ♥ it!

Kati said...

Wow, that Jezebel Sauce sounds really interesting - what a mix of flavors! I love apple season, too. :-)

Usha said...

Your sauce looks wonderful,love the idea of ginger and apple together :)

Vegan_Noodle said...

2 entries! You are fabulous. Love the sound of that Jezebel sauce.... and I'm sure I already wrote my thoughts about the pie (swoons).