Wednesday, October 15, 2008

VeganMoFo – Bizarre/Not Bizarre

Did you watch the Andrew Zimmerman show last night? After nearly hurling during the first segment, including watching him and his guest happily consume various piglet parts and all manner of insects, I can only say how dare he declare fresh foods from the ground bizarre! I was pleased to see on Ani Phyo’s segment that she offered raw versions of familiar foods such as burgers and lasagna. And although Mr. Z didn’t like them as much as he liked the disgusting omni fare, he DID like them, so yea! I didn’t watch any more of the show.

Now, for something deliciously vegan.

Do you love cabbage? Me too! Do you love mushrooms? Me too! I often make this simple stirfry of cabbage, mushrooms, and onions from a recipe similar to the one I found here at Fatfree Vegan Recipes. I brown my onions and mushrooms in broth, then add in sliced cabbage and steam for about 5 minutes. I don’t bother to thicken with cornstarch. Last night I topped my stirfry with Isa’s awesome Fresh Tomato Dressing.



Do you need a treat? Here’s another of Ricki’s recipes I made awhile back. It’s not a tester, though, so you can find the Banana Oat Bars recipe here. They don’t really need frosting. They are fantastic plain - and plain fantastic!


I’m making mini muffins tonight to take to the office tomorrow for a breakfast potluck – will hopefully post them tomorrow.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love your simple stir-fry idea, because I love mushroom & cabbage! Yum. That show doesn't air in France, but I totally agree with you - how can you compare fresh, wholesome foods with bizarre (and cruel) stuff like that?

Anonymous said...

I want such a bar, can't wait for the book!

Meg Wolff said...

I love to stir-fry and love all the veggies you used.

I didn't see the show, but it is nice when a non-vegan eats a vegan meal and exclaims how much they like it (or at least don't hate it!). A nice start.

Interesting that this show aired the same day as Oprah's sjhow on cruelty to animals.

jessy said...

me, me, meeeeeeeeeee! i love cabbage and mushrooms! and your dish looks sooooooo awesome! what a fresh & pretty stir-fry! i have yet to try the fresh tomato dressing - think i need to do that - asap! :)

Anonymous said...

The stir-fry does look good--and so easy to make! Glad you liked the bars, too (and now I must try them unfrosted) :)

Shame we don't get AZ's show over here. . .

miss v said...

cabbage (and sauerkraut, for that matter) is so awesome. as are mushrooms. i could spend days thinking up new way to combine these foods.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I (OR my family) can't watch his or Anthony Bourdain's shows - I end up feeling extremely nauseated.

Stir-fry?!?!?! Banana Oat Bars?!?!?! Yes, please!!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Another cabbage and mushroom-lover here. But now I must turn the tables and ask YOU: Where's the broccoli? ;o)

To answer your question on my blog: Yup, I'm a plate-cleaner. I really do eat all that; my guy friends think it's super-fun to eat with me because I won't just get a salad and call it dinner, unlike the other girls they know. (Ironic, since I'm the vegan!)

A.M. said...

Hmm, that bar looks good!

Usha said...

Never really used cabbage and mushrooms together,very interesting...the banana oat bars looks yum :)

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

you've been up to so much, I just looked back over the posts... the burrito, the apple chocolate pie, the jezebel sauce, and everything else, wow! And ooooooh, do I want to try one of those banana bars for myself... they look perfect!

Destiny's Kitchen said...

That banana bar looks so good! I must bookmark Ricki's recipe for (near) future use!

Sheree' said...

DH and I usually turn off Andrew Zimmerman because it is just too gross! I am sorry I missed last nights and hope to catch a re-run. Onto Cabbage, love it, love it, love it and love what you have done with it. :o) Have fun making mini muffins.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

What a great looking stir fry! I must have those banana bars!! Hopefully there'll be a rerun of the show, I missed it. :(

Judy said...

Oohhhh I DO love cabbage! And I love the look of those banana bars too - I may have to make a batch today.

Bex said...

whenever I make cabbage my husband says something like "I really love cabbage" so I think that might be a hint that I should make more of it.