Thursday, October 09, 2008

VeganMoFo – Quick and Spicy

Our local food editor (hi, Addie!) blogged today about her CSA box, which, not surprisingly, sounded just like mine. She put together a quick dish using squash and jalapenos, and made a complete dinner by adding rice and beans and “leftover enchiladas.” I decided to do something similar.

I sautéd squash, onions, a purple sweet pepper, and one small red and one small green jalapeno from my CSA box. I didn’t have leftover enchiladas, so I decided to try one of these tamales I bought recently made by White Mountain Foods, a local company that makes excellent tofu products. Their newest addition is tamales – these are vegan.



White Mountain products are available throughout Texas and also in Colorado and California. The tamale is excellent. They keep in the freezer and you just microwave or steam them for one minute. I also got myself some black beans, which aren’t local, unless you count the fact that they came from my local grocer. So here’s my dinner plate.

I also did a taste test of my jalapenos. I had read somewhere that “scarred” peppers are hotter than smooth peppers. For example, the pepper on the right in this picture would be hotter.



The red jalapeno I used tonight was scarred and the green one was not. Sadly, the test was inconclusive because neither of the peppers was hot ;)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love those quick dinners! I'd never heard of the "scarred" pepper theory, but will now be examining all the peppers I pick from my garden!

Destiny's Kitchen said...

I don't understand the mystery of jalapenos either. None of the ones my sister grew were hot. What the?!

Anonymous said...

YUMMMMMMM! We're so jealous right now because those are our favorite tamales and we can't get them here in Oregon. They taste just like non-veg tamales and have a wonderful spicyness! I wish White Mountain Foods offered them in Oregon, we miss them ever since moving!:( Enjoy your tamales!

megan said...

I love White Mountain! Everything that they make is so tasty. I just had some cottage salad for dinner tonight.

Anonymous said...

vegan tamales??? Oh how I miss tamales...they were my very favorite, and I used to get them from a local woman (in AZ) who made them from her home. She always made a huge batch of vegan ones because there were so many of us who were begging for them.
Bless that woman.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Quick and spicy?? Sounds like my kind of meal, for sure!! :0)

urban vegan said...

Quick, spicy & vegan: my kind of dinner!

allularpunk said...

ooh, i've never had tamales. those look pretty darned awesome! and i love spicy food. so. so. much.

Sheree' said...

I have not had enchilladas in like forever. This dinner of yours looks so good. I should not look at food blogs when I am hungry because now I feel like I too amd starving. :o)

Usha said...

I never knew there was a theory about scarred jalapenos...will check mine out from now on...I have never tasted tamales but yours look yum :)

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Your dinner looks so good!! Thanks for the tip about the hot peppers, I did not know that!

Erin said...

That's funny about the peppers! I've never heard that theory either. Sometimes non-hot jalapenos are okay, they taste good just the same.

I've had a tamale or two since coming to CA and I have to say that so far I'm not a fan. I'm hoping I just haven't had good ones yet, because I'd LIKE to like them. I'll try that brand out if I see it.