Tuesday, October 21, 2008

VeganMoFo – Moroccan Roasted Vegetables

On the advice of Julie, who promised even eggplant haters would love this recipe, I prepared Moroccan Roasted Vegetables from Moosewood New Classics. I had many fresh veggies from my CSA box, including 2 little Japanese eggplant. I actually wavered between making this recipe and Heathen Vegan’s Mediterranean Crumble, but decided to go gluten free. Check out Jeni’s Rosti recipe with that Crumble too!

I chopped up onions, yellow tomatoes, purple and yellow peppers, the eggplant, zucchini, a hot red chili, and added in some baby carrots and the chickpeas. (I left out the sweet potato too, Julie.) Then I mixed all the spices and tossed them into the veggies. Here they are ready to roast.



Forty minutes later they rested atop some steamed broccoli, got topped with almonds and raisins, and dinner was served.



It was so good and I couldn’t even tell I was eating eggplant – just the way I like it!

15 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Deeeelish!!!

Haha, I feel the same way about eggplant ;0)

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

So many veggies! I'm with you on the eggplant not tasting like eggplant thing! :)

Sheree' said...

Wow! That really looks good! I need to get that cookbook. I hear so many good recipes from it. Yum!

kmouse said...

Oh yeah! Moroccan anything is what I like!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Glad you made it and love it! So true that you can't even taste the eggplant.

Erin said...

Eggplant IS best when it's not too eggplanty. I'm with you on that.

Kristen's Raw said...

Cool!

Jen Treehugger said...

Thanks for the shout out!!
:)

That recipe looks amazing. I LOVE the use of the fruit and nuts.
Very Moroccan!

jessy said...

this looks absolutely awesome! i love that you added in some chickpeas - and the raisins & almonds on top. oh my gosh - mmmmmmm! it sounds wonderful! i need to make this soon! wow!

allularpunk said...

i really, really hate eggplant, but have 2 in my kitchen that need using. but i don't have this cookbook..boo. my mom does though, maybe i can call her later to get the recipe. i refuse to let those poor (gross) eggplants go bad because of my prejudice!

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked it--and that the eggplant passed muster! (You could always try the eggplant in cookies--I swear, you won't taste it!!) ;)

Anonymous said...

Roasted veggies are right up there with best ever dishes!

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

Diann, our kitchens are joined at the soul. I was just about to search "Morroccon vegetable/eggplant" recipes and here you reminded me to use Mr. Moose!

Beautiful photos as always.

A.M. said...

Mmm, that looks good! I like Moroccan stews and other dishes; they'r so flavorful!

Destiny's Kitchen said...

Oh yum, I've got to send this to my sister!